Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small size superscoop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small size superscoop
    Posted: 07 August 2020 at 7:30pm
Hi,

To make this clear, I am totally noob when it comes to building speakers, but I always had the idea in the back of my mind to make one. So I came across this website and I hope you guys can help me out a bit.
I want to start off by building a superscoop. I have a 6" driver in good shape, but the plans I have seen, are only for 18" and 21". I want to build a smaller size, so when I screw up, it's not that expensive and I can break it apart to understand which mistakes I made. But my main question is; how can I convert the measurements for a 18" to the right measurements for a 6"? Is it as easy as dividing the measurements by 3 or is this more complex, since we're dealing with acoustics here.
And also, is it best to use 18 mm thick plywood, or would you guys recommend less thicker plywood, since it's a smaller size...

I hope you guys can help me out.

Thanx in advance and cheers!

-DaniΓ«l
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:39pm
Im no expert on this topic but its not as simple as just scaling down.. a 6 will not have the same ts parameters etc as a scoop driver.. i think some one said in another thread: make a transmission line box and make it look scoop like.. sounds a reasonable plan.. depends on what you want from it etc

Reverence Sound system

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 8:47pm
You're one of the best box builders I know Mr....
But, yeah difficult to scale down that far.

Ps, yes I want the siren, and barracuda in tear down.

I'm out never to return. Bye
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 10:05pm
As a start you have to keep the horn length the same, then you can decrease the surface areas throughout thew horn path. Surface area of a driver is a square function, so as a rule of thumb you would dived by (18/6)^2. A typical 6" has an Sd = 133 cm2, a typical 18" has an Sd = 1100 - 1250 cm2.

For the SPL of a 6" I would use 9 mm, 7-ply Baltic birch as a minimum or 15 mm MDF.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2020 at 8:25pm
Things can differ a lot with small drivers and small bins. This deserves complete new development. Downsizing existing products will not get you anywhere.
What is even your goal in the first place? 
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Dani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2020 at 10:32am
My goal is to make a sub for in my room.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2020 at 1:15pm
Right on, well that's easy - build the THAM6. It's a proper sub, with an interesting principle of operation (tapped horn, look it up) and it's designed for a 6" driver already.

Your driver most likely won't be the recommended one for the design, but in my experience, tapped horns can wrangle surprisingly loud bass out of even the weakest of drivers. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2020 at 8:58pm
This.... TH can dig a lot from very poor drivers. 
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply