Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke Machine Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

Pump arrived, I put it in and it made a horrible noise, produced no smoke. Opened the 'new' pump up, and looked at the assembly diagram for it online. Turns out it was missing a part... Anyway, the pump was slightly different to the one it was replacing. I suspect the stairville one is some Chinese copy of this coffee machine pump. 

I took the mechanism out of the burned pump and put it in the coil of the 'new' one, took a bit of brute force, I suspect they are not intended to go together. 

Tested the machine and it works perfectly now. So there you go, if you burn the coil of a stairville smoke machine, you can replace it with the coil from a coffee machine pump. 

Cool.

Usually when you disassemble electronics/mechanical parts you'll be left with some extra bits.. I recall my smoke machine is missing a part or two from the pump after taking it apart and cleaning it, it produces thicker smoke now.

If you are left with extra bits after you've put electrical or mechanical machinery back together you have done it wrong and are incompetent and more importantly NOT SAFE. 

Anyone reading that should not accept that as normal.  

You need to be more careful, more methodical and logical and take more notes/pictures. Lay components / fittings / fasteners out in a pattern or different pots or on paper or card, number them. Whatever it takes to make sure you havent missed something. 

Edited by JonB67 - 17 January 2019 at 8:49am
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 11:22am
Brand new pumps like that will make a horrendous clatter until they're primed.Then they go quiet once the fluid goes through.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 1:32pm
Sorry, could not resist. :-)

Edited by MarjanM - 17 January 2019 at 2:42pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Sorry, could not resist. :-)

cant see the image :(
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 2:43pm
Fixed the link :-). Not helping much, i know :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 4:33pm
I WANT that shirt!!
Don't seem to ship to UK though
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 5:57pm
I should hope not with grammar like that.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 12:35am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I should hope not with grammar like that.
But that adds to it's authenticity!!! LOLLOL

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 12:42am
Exactly
It’s like the “Education is important but [insert hobby] is importanter” shirts
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:25pm
SO much for attempting to gain the moral high ground!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:45pm
Whilst we're on the subject, I've got a 1500w smoke machine here with an o/c heater block, I can't get an exact replacement but can get a generic 1500w heater block, if I was to stick one of those in the machine and refit the thermal switch in the same position on the generic block as it was on the original heater block would I burn a venue to the ground or would it work....?

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:45pm
...for this, and anything else your unsure of, I would get a tech to repair it and sign it off for insurance purposes. I'm confident when I can source parts and make the correct repair and have at minimum it pass PAT. But if you you are EVER unsure, get it don't by somebody qualified so that you are inline with you liability insurance and any other paper work that you COULD fall foul of by "bodging" or "hacking" away at and it be the downfall of your company. 

Don't play games with your life or anybody else's. And insurance companies don't pay out on stupidity.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>