Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Smoke Machine Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke Machine Repair

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc


Joined: 20 January 2009
Location: Staffordshire
Status: Offline
Points: 4246
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2019 at 2:25pm
SO much for attempting to gain the moral high ground!
K. Edwards Electronics Engineers

North Staffordshire

Back to Top
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 26 March 2010
Location: S. Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 2201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 9:45pm
Whilst we're on the subject, I've got a 1500w smoke machine here with an o/c heater block, I can't get an exact replacement but can get a generic 1500w heater block, if I was to stick one of those in the machine and refit the thermal switch in the same position on the generic block as it was on the original heater block would I burn a venue to the ground or would it work....?











Back to Top
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 13 July 2012
Location: london
Status: Offline
Points: 6839
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 10:45pm
...for this, and anything else your unsure of, I would get a tech to repair it and sign it off for insurance purposes. I'm confident when I can source parts and make the correct repair and have at minimum it pass PAT. But if you you are EVER unsure, get it don't by somebody qualified so that you are inline with you liability insurance and any other paper work that you COULD fall foul of by "bodging" or "hacking" away at and it be the downfall of your company. 

Don't play games with your life or anybody else's. And insurance companies don't pay out on stupidity.


If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Back to Top
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 26 March 2010
Location: S. Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 2201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

...for this, and anything else your unsure of, I would get a tech to repair it and sign it off for insurance purposes. I'm confident when I can source parts and make the correct repair and have at minimum it pass PAT. But if you you are EVER unsure, get it don't by somebody qualified so that you are inline with you liability insurance and any other paper work that you COULD fall foul of by "bodging" or "hacking" away at and it be the downfall of your company. 

Don't play games with your life or anybody else's. And insurance companies don't pay out on stupidity.


  

Quite right, I'll be honest, it doesn't sit right with me fitting a non original heater block but was just wondering if anyone had done it with any success. Looks like the dead smoke machine can go in the spares pile then. Smile
Back to Top
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 04 September 2010
Location: Walthamstow
Status: Offline
Points: 3969
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 5:32pm
When blocks melt, you end up with a puddle of molten aluminium to contend with.

Aluminium is surprisingly "reactive", look what it does when powdered, mixed with "rust" and ignited with a magnesium ribbon for a fuse - called Thermite.

Used for "welding" train rails together in situ, when you haven't got a huge power supply for mig/stick/etc...

If the generic replacement block comes with a thermal trip in location, then it should trip before it melts. If you are placing thermal trip to generic block afterwards, you would need to test it to destruction to be sure...mewh.

Edited by MattStolton - 21 January 2019 at 5:33pm
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Back to Top
Danielr View Drop Down
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 30 May 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 79
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

When blocks melt, you end up with a puddle of molten aluminium to contend with.

Aluminium is surprisingly "reactive", look what it does when powdered, mixed with "rust" and ignited with a magnesium ribbon for a fuse - called Thermite.

Used for "welding" train rails together in situ, when you haven't got a huge power supply for mig/stick/etc...

If the generic replacement block comes with a thermal trip in location, then it should trip before it melts. If you are placing thermal trip to generic block afterwards, you would need to test it to destruction to be sure...mewh.
I think you're being a little alarmist regarding the dangers of aluminium.

Why do you think you're need to test a thermal trip to destruction?! 
Back to Top
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc
Avatar

Joined: 18 August 2004
Location: Eastbourne
Status: Offline
Points: 8704
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

if I was to stick one of those in the machine and refit the thermal switch in the same position on the generic block as it was on the original heater block would I burn a venue to the ground or would it work....?


I would be more concerned about the harmful effects of over heating glycols.
They become highly carcinogenic if over heated, long before you'll melt or burn anything down.
Its why cheap vapes can be potentially so harmful, if they haven't got adequate heat control.

We had a long discussion on photonlexicon about home made fluids and machines and some startling data was shared in terms of risk and temperature.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.049 seconds.