Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMT-212

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMT-212
    Posted: 05 January 2012 at 6:33am
Right, me and a friend are building 2 of staipes SMT-212's, we've not heard much about them and we were wondering if anyone had any idea on overall performance. We've gone for them because of the fact they drop as low as 90Hz meeting perfectly with our PD.186 loaded mini scoops. So far we've built one using 18mm MDF instead of the specified 15mm (believe me this took a lot of work on sketchup to make sure the horn stayed the correct size) this allowed us to play around with handle ideas and recessed speakon boxes and the like. We've decided we're going to use TD-245 horns and for the life of me I can't remember what comps I can tell you they were B&C though, and then we are using B&C 12PE32 drivers for the midrange. Because we like the idea of having a stereo rig we established that we are going to need at least 4 of these for dispersion alone (2 each side) and these will be on top of 3 of the double scoops each side, however, is it worth mounting the CD and horn inside the horn of the mid section using two steel strips running paralell with the base of the can allowing is to remove the top of the cab saving weight. It also gives that stepped look if 2 are left full size. Any input would be much appreciated and I will try to post some build picks to help explain what I mean.

It just feels like it's never quite loud enough...
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 3:44pm
I think King David is running these so ask him

Francis
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
rhuet99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhuet99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 4:04pm
I built a couple of single or SMT112 if you will.  I mounted HF horn in the mouth of the mid horn. I attached the horn and comp to vertical metal channels that attached to the top and bottom panels. They work great.  It's a very fast build.  I never did any measurements, so I only have my subjective opinion regarding performance.  They are loaded with the p.audio SN-12B and very humble ASD1001S comps.  Need better comps for sure. The 12's just walk all over them.  My two cents for what it's worth.  Good luck with your build!
Randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:21pm
Have you got any pictures at all rhuet?
And we did establish today that we definitely need different horns, the beyma's look stupid and the dispersion is lacking too.
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:48pm
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
rhuet99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhuet99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 5:16am
I'll shoot a couple Randall.  Not sure how to post them.  I don't use photobucket or the like.  Glad to share though if we can find a method to do so. 
rhuet99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhuet99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 5:19am
Nice build Login4.Clap

Randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 3:35am
Right, here's one of the cabs before the horn went in. Yet to complete the other 3 due to the fact im in Norfolk and the woods in Cambridge. 

the cab has now been rounded over, fillered and is looking really good! Very happy with them.
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 7:20am
looking good mateThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply