Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 3:10pm
Yeah just looked your right but I think (2 x 3,100 Watts @ 4 Ohms; 2 x 1,600 Watts @ 8 Ohms)  should be enough for what I have.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 1:35pm

Conanski:

You said 14awg for inside of Dual 215 cabs. 12awg for outside. I will be investing in 12awg which is in a single wire as it makes sense to fit speakons plugs once.

But out of curiosity as I have 100m of 16awg (2 core) if I used 2 runs (4 core) and twisted together x2 for + and x2 - as it is now thicker does this become a lower AWG? 

RoadRunnersDust:

A. “Mixing two different types of bass bin and two different types of drivers will make this *much* harder for you. It is generally inadvisable as the interaction between the two different speakers invariably causes more issues than you gain by having more speakers.”

Q. Im not sure if I’ve asked this before but as I have 8 outs on my DSP & 4 Amps is there a way of having x5 sets of speakers or would I require x10 outs?

Highs

Upper Mids

Lower Miss

W Bin Bass

Sun Bass

Also would x3 8ohm speakers per channel become 2ohm load per channel ? Or are my calculations wrong?

Edited by SnailSpace - 25 May 2023 at 1:36pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

You said 14awg for inside of Dual 215 cabs. 12awg for outside. I will be investing in 12awg which is in a single wire as it makes sense to fit speakons plugs once.

But out of curiosity as I have 100m of 16awg (2 core) if I used 2 runs (4 core) and twisted together x2 for + and x2 - as it is now thicker does this become a lower AWG? 

Two bits of 16AWG (~1.5mm^2) would give you an effective cross sectional area of about 13AWG (~3mm^2)

RoadRunnersDust:

A. “Mixing two different types of bass bin and two different types of drivers will make this *much* harder for you. It is generally inadvisable as the interaction between the two different speakers invariably causes more issues than you gain by having more speakers.”

Q. Im not sure if I’ve asked this before but as I have 8 outs on my DSP & 4 Amps is there a way of having x5 sets of speakers or would I require x10 outs?

Highs

Upper Mids

Lower Miss

W Bin Bass

Sun Bass

You could run everything in mono which would only need 5 DSP outputs
If you had another amplifier and 10 DSP outputs or a separate DSP for your Bass and Sub then you could run the bass and sub in mono
If you want to run full stereo then a better solution may be to have separate amp racks for your left and right stack which would keep your speaker cables shorter

Also would x3 8ohm speakers per channel become 2ohm load per channel ? Or are my calculations wrong?

2x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel gives you 4.00 Ohm
3x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel gives you 2.66 Ohm
4x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel gives you 2.00 Ohm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 11:45pm
RoadRunnersDust:

Cable:
I’ve been searching 12awg speaker cable and I’m finding
1.) GearIt - 2core 12awg CL3 (says outdoor burial?) 30m £60
2.) Van Damme - 2 core 12awg (cpfarnell) 30m £120
Is there any other UK brands/sellers?

I suspected I needed x10 outputs or x2 more Kappa & a bigger amp to have x5 levels to Stack or have a line of x6 bass but was just double checking.

It would have been nice to run it in two stacks in certain situations but it does add extra complications of extra long links between the 2 stacks in larger rooms. 
I presume though a single stack is still run with stereo switch on.

The Crown does parallel & Bridged Mono could I switch the Subs & W Bins to this Amp does this help? (Put the x2 215 cabs through the INuke? Or am I again totally not understanding what Bridged Mono is for?)

Subs & W Bins:
I had 2.66ohm when I did the calculations for ‘3x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel’ so does this mean speakers linked in parallel lose power? Does this apply to my dual
Cabs linked in series internally then parallel outside?

I know mixing 2 types of cabs (subs & W bins) is a no no but from what I’m told when the Kappa & Omega where in the subs the specs are so similar the past owner saw no problem but if I did have x2 subs (kappa) & x1 w bin (omega) per channel at 2.66ohm would this give less bass than the x4 subs (kappa) alone?
Reason I’m asking daft questions like this is just to understand so if I was tempted to experiment I’m not blowing the drivers & amp! 

Edited by SnailSpace - 26 May 2023 at 12:08am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 2:00am

I suspected I needed x10 outputs or x2 more Kappa & a bigger amp to have x5 levels to Stack or have a line of x6 bass but was just double checking.
You don't need any more DSP outputs to add additional boxes or amplifiers in thae same frequency ranges as those you already have.. like if you were to add more subs, but splitting up the system beyond a 4way is of little benefit IMO and could very well make everything sound worse. If you want a bigger stack just add more subs... because there is no such thing as too much subbage. 

It would have been nice to run it in two stacks in certain situations but it does add extra complications of extra long links between the 2 stacks in larger rooms. 
In all cases the amps should be positioned with the speaker stacks, and yes for a dual stack setup that means 2 separate amp racks. If you only have one DSP then there will be some longer XLR links but that is better than long speaker cables.

I presume though a single stack is still run with stereo switch on.
Stereo  = dual mono if the input sigals are the same.

The Crown does parallel & Bridged Mono could I switch the Subs & W Bins to this Amp does this help? (Put the x2 215 cabs through the INuke? Or am I again totally not understanding what Bridged Mono is for?)
Bridged mono is of no use to you... You want parallel/dual mono. Maybe this will help, when a 2ch amp is set to bridged mono it becomes a more powerful 1ch amp. 

Subs & W Bins:
I had 2.66ohm when I did the calculations for ‘3x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel’ so does this mean speakers linked in parallel lose power? 
Cabs linked in parallel always split amp power evenly, but a 2.66ohm load on an amp at bass or sub-bass frequencies is VERY stressfull on the amplifier, in general this is not done except with touring grade amps. 

Does this apply to my dual Cabs linked in series internally then parallel outside?
The amp doesn't know there are 2 drivers in that cab it just sees a single 8ohm load, so best to think of it that way.  

Edited by Conanski - 26 May 2023 at 2:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:40am

Conanski: I think as you have been trying to tell me less is more and I have been trying to use all the cabs/drivers just because I have them so I’ve had a rethink. 

I’m thinking of dropping the dual 12” UPPER MID Cabs (Jamo Drivers) for a few reasons:

1. They are Jamos as people keep telling me.

2. I can sell on the x4 Jamos as the empty cabs will take up storage space anyway.

3. The dual 12” cabs arent really deep enough to stack Horn box on without overhang.

So if I swop in the W-Bins cabs in place of the 12” Jamos at Upper Mid Level, I have a few options in the 15” drivers. Which do you feel would fit in the stack best?

HIGH

x2 Horns 

Horn:

https://peavey.com/rx-22-ct-driver/p/03616190

Amp:

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/amp/discontinued/usa/q_amp_usa_series_specs.pdf

UPPER MID

x2 W Bins: (they take 15” each)

Options:

x2 15” Omega

(I presume I would need a bigger Amp for these as the GX3 Is only 300w per channel at 8ohm and the Omega are 800w/8ohm) 

https://eminence.com/products/omega_pro_15a

x2 HH Acoustics 1500 Series 200w/8ohm:

(Would work with QSC GX3 amp as they are 200w each but I have no info on them! Is there a way of working out the frequencies etc?)

Amp:

https://www.qsc.com/solutions-products/power-amplifiers/portable/2-channel/gx-series/gx3/

LOWER MID

x2 15” Dual Cabs

x4 PV BW:

https://peavey.com/black-widow-1508-4-sps-bwx-speaker/p/00560140

Amp:

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli3500

BASS

x4 EV Cubo:

x4 Kappa 

https://eminence.com/products/kappa_pro_15lf2

Amp:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B1Q

Edited by SnailSpace - 26 May 2023 at 6:44am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:56pm

I’m gonna mount the x2 HH Acoustics (1500 Series 200w/8ohm and give them a listen. I’ll do the Jamos too and see what sounds the best.

They are 200w each but I have no info on them! Is there a way of roughly working out the frequencies or some specs by dimensions? Or should I treat them as same range as Jamos and tweak by ear?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:49am
W bins won't work as upper mids... they're probably not much good as low mids either.. the fold in the horn cancels or heavily attenuates a lot of those mid frequencies.

But the Dual 15 boxes will do mids no problem. The system you should try is..
PV horns - high
Dual 15's - mids
W bins - kick
Cubos - subs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:48am
What drivers would be best in the W Bins as Kicks? 
I presume it would mean using the Eminence Omega Pro and getting a bigger amp as it makes GX3 redundant for bass/kicks or at only 300w a channel.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 2:48am
The GX3 on mids should do fine, keep the bigger amps for kicks and subs.  

Edited by Conanski - 27 May 2023 at 2:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:12am
If Specs say GX3 can only take 300w per channel at 8ohm and I put x2 (x4) PV 4ohm 500w continuous (1000w program/2000w peak) through why would it not blow amp putting 500w+ through a 300w amp? Would I have to be cautious not to push them too high (max volumes/setting limits etc is a question for when it’s functioning as a stack but Im being cautious now so as not to push capabilities)
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 12:07pm

I would suggest more research on the basic's try wiki how or wiki pedia. 

The Yamaha guide is often cited as a good resource 

Edited by 4D - 27 May 2023 at 12:07pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>