Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 4:16pm
2.5mm is fine for inside of all the cabinets.

I don’t recommend using fully jacketed cable inside of cabinets though, it’s awkward and the weight puts strain on the connections 
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 10:45pm
Thanks makes sense!
Nice one everyone! I think I’m set now! Head took a beating this week trying to understand all that Smile I bet yours did too - again thanks for bearing with me! Enjoy your Weekends Clap

Edited by SnailSpace - 02 June 2023 at 10:45pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 4:52am
Inside cabinets even 1,5 mm² wiring is totally fine, it will not cause any harm or loss, but it will be a lot  easier to work with. 

Power losses only occur over longer distances with inadequate wiregauge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 8:52am

If I’m running my sound system at home on low in a smaller room should I also buy extra wire to make short runs to amp rather than using the longer runs I would use for venues for audio quality & gear safety reasons or is it just the practicality of storing a wrap of wires? Obviously doing shorter runs to avoid big wraps of wires means extra cost for connectors so just looking at options. Thanks 

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 2:31pm
It shouldn't make any difference what size room you setup in because the amplifiers should always be next to the speaker stack/s. The only really long cable runs should be the XLR links between the amp rack and mixer/DJ controller, or in a situation where you split the rig into 2 stacks and you only have 1 DSP there would be some more longer XLR cables between stacks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 3:04pm
Most dub Reggae sessions I go to the stack is always facing the stack and away from the Amplifiers connected by long runs?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 8:07pm
Yeah I see videos like that all over the internet, in some they have the amps up on stands at head level way out front with the operator who spends all kinds of time turning things up and down. I don't get it, it a terrible way to setup a sound system from a performance and logistics point of view and why would they need to do so much of what looks like "testing", once the rig is configured and dialed in it should be a plug and play exercise every time after that. You will never see a setup like this at big name concert or a DJ festival stage.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 9:06pm
I suppose that’s the difference Festivals & Live events mainly opt for everything done by the letter - Jamaican/UK Sound System Culture is all about individuality and personalising a sound. Roots/Reggae/Dub sound system in UK had a major influence on UK electronic music I’ve been around both scenes/genres for a long time and I’ve gravitated back to Dub Sound System because the sound still hits and has a signature sound it has a soul, the thing that first drew me to the dancefloor. Now UK electronic music venues and festivals etc are a very bland sound. You still get the odd place with a quality sound but I find no festival or club I’ve been too large or small can touch the best of Dub Sound Systems! Dub/Reggae selectors/operators use their stack as their monitor with no headphones and choose to place in an optimal position to hear music. All the tweaking you see is because most use records and most record production/pressings/Masterings/age can differ and all effect the sound plus the use of delay units etc
Personal taste but I’ve been to big events with the most expensive sounds and it’s been swimming around in the wind, how sound engineers can get it so wrong is beyond me, even small venues who have DJs on have expensive speakers or off the peg sound systems and they sound garbage and soulless…my Jamos sound better ;) ha. 

Anyway back to question, when I put figures into calculations obviously it give you different awg figures for distances, so I suppose question is - is their loss over distance even if wire is coiled in a smaller venue or is it minimal. At home amp to Stack is only 2-4m from amp but I would like to have atleast 25m so I can put it in garden or small venues taking into account wire strung around a few corners etc
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 2:14am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Dub/Reggae selectors/operators use their stack as their monitor with no headphones and choose to place in an optimal position to hear music. All the tweaking you see is because most use records and most record  production/pressings/Masterings/age can differ and all effect the sound plus the use of delay units etc
I totally get that, I was introduced to music with vinyl in the '70's and have been involved in some form or another ever since, I too experienced the differences in recordings you mentioned in that format and in every one since, CD and digital fiiles are no different... some are spectacular and some are just shit.  

And I wasn't using the large festival/concert events as a measure for sound quality(no argument there), that often takes a back seat to other things like budget, SPL limitations/regulations, contract specifics, customer expectations, etc. It was just meant to be a reference for what makes an efficient and flexible gear package .. two things that are very important for somebody doing events in different venues all the time.. regardless how large or small the show is. 

Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Anyway back to question, when I put figures into calculations obviously it give you different awg figures for distances, so I suppose question is - is their loss over distance even if wire is coiled in a smaller venue or is it minimal. At home amp to Stack is only 2-4m from amp but I would like to have atleast 25m so I can put it in garden or small venues taking into account wire strung around a few corners etc
It won't make any difference you can hear, if you use runs that long any impedance added will just improve amplifier stability.. which is a good thing. 

But a few points to think about.

- Just because everybody else does something a certain way doesn't mean it's the best solution.
- Experience has shown me that if you build a sound system that is a blank canvas more or less... something that sounds decent on a wide range of tracks within a genre or even across genres, it's then easier to get the results you want with relatively monor changes on your FOH equipment during an event. 

- To that end, once the system basics are setup.. crossover, delay, corrective EQ, limiting, level balancing, then there should be no need to alter any of these settings at an event. Doing so would compromise the safety of the rig because the whole point of configuring all this is to extract maximum performance from the gear on hand. 

But that doesn't mean you can't shape the sound or correct/enhance recordings that are sub par, when digital files became a thing I would run new tracks through a SW package called Cool Edit pro, with that I could change the level, add EQ, remove glitches or edit out sections I didn't want, and doing this ahead of time saves a lot of trouble at an event.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 7:58am
Yeah I think the main uses will be as one stack facing amps but not a huge distance other than that in x2 seperate stacks. I do have a broad record collection so it will still need to be flexible. Personally I’ve always hated monitor dj set ups and have always preferred to have my turntable/amp in middle of speakers or house speakers in venue facing.

And as I you say there will probably be another post at a later date when I finally get set up and set best settings and everything will be tweaked via mixer. I’ll be happy and hopefully have built a Stack Sound System for the price of a pre amp!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Yeah I see videos like that all over the internet, in some they have the amps up on stands at head level way out front with the operator who spends all kinds of time turning things up and down. I don't get it, it a terrible way to setup a sound system from a performance and logistics point of view and why would they need to do so much of what looks like "testing", once the rig is configured and dialed in it should be a plug and play exercise every time after that. You will never see a setup like this at big name concert or a DJ festival stage.  

Its because a reggae soundsystem is used as a kind of musical instrument in its own right, the direct opposite of a pa where transparency is the main goal. In reggae culture the pre amp is used to manipulate the sound. This dates back to the way King Tubby would emulate a mixing desk capabilities when playing back a record hence being able to cut frequencies completely or add or boost with the use of parametrics.  I don't expect anyone outside of this beautiful unique culture to understand whatsoever. 
Also, with reggae production, different labels have different sounds so at high volumes you want to quickly adjust to cater for this.
The tradition of having amps by the operator is to keep them away from people who may be in competition with you (or your soundsystem) and maliciously tamper with them. 
Reggae soundsystem is completely different from the term 'public address system.

Edited by valve head777 - 11 June 2023 at 2:34pm
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Its because a reggae soundsystem is used as a kind of musical instrument in its own right, the direct opposite of a pa where transparency is the main goal. In reggae culture the pre amp is used to manipulate the sound. This dates back to the way King Tubby would emulate a mixing desk capabilities when playing back a record hence being able to cut frequencies completely or add or boost with the use of parametrics.  I don't expect anyone outside of this beautiful unique culture to understand whatsoever.
I understand and appreciate that actually.. I didn't many years ago but I've had exposure to many more cultural varieties in recent years and now also work with some caribean DJs as an equipment supplier. I suspect there are some significant regional differences in the way things are done even within this genre, so I'm just trying to suggest that there is more than one way get the end result. All the DJs I work with use DJ controllers for example.. and most of those are from the Pioneer DDJ series. 

Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

The tradition of having amps by the operator is to keep them away from people who may be in competition with you (or your soundsystem) and maliciously tamper with them.
Yeah that is a bit of an issue I have seen on some events so I have to acknowlege it is a concern but there are things that can be done to mitigate it such as install protective covers over the amp racks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>