Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound Idiot Needing Help - Optic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundIdiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound Idiot Needing Help - Optic
    Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:31pm
So I feel like an idiot but I want to start creating a dynamic sound environment in different rooms in my house since the GF is a big music and movie junkie :-)

Anyways... The first room I want to get done is the office.

I am looking for the best way to set this up without spending an arm and a leg. I'd rather spend money on the Living room where we spend the most time <- but not now. I just want mediocre sound in the room, since it is just the office but the only speakers I have in here are the TV speakers... which I can tell you - do nothing for sound :-/ - I would also like to have Bluetooth capability for the gfs music.

I have a TV with an Optic out port and a XBOX one with an optic port.

Though looking on Amazon, I am not finding much in the way of optic solutions. Each stereo system I look at does not have optic in ports... So I need help... I could be looking at this all wrong.

Please advise :-) If not for me... for my gf :-) and my sanity.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 7:43pm
I use a little optical SPDIF DAC I bought on Amazon to convert the output of my TV to analogue.

Something like:

SoundIdiot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundIdiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:29pm
Awesome... I am going to look into this now :-) I would likely need two.. is that correct? one from the xbox and one from the tv?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 10:17am
Of those units yes, but you may be able to find one that has multiple optical ins and analog out.

I'm not sure what you are quite trying to achieve though, just adding some better speakers to a TV for now? Or doyou want to network the house for audio etc. Because if you just want a amplifier that will take an optical input there are a few of those around. And some willoffer bluetooth too.

Personally I would purcahse a home cinema style amplifier, Xbox One to that vs HDMI, then HDMI out to the TV. Connect the TV back to the amplifier using its optical out (or whatever other option there is, surprised if there is only one).

Then you get xbox sound via the amplifer (just add speakers), all the benefits of watching movies with surround sound etc if you choose to go farther down that route and add more cabs, plus if you want more volume from the TV then switch the amp over to its optical input.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 10:20am
Like this for example:

Not that expensive, 2 optical ins, bluetooth compatible, 5 HDMI in, plus other features.
 Post Reply Post Reply