Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sound system workshop ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sound system workshop ideas
    Posted: 04 October 2022 at 9:50am
hey, posted on the newb forum because i'd love to hear from you if you're just starting out!

thinking of running a few simple "intro to sound systems" workshops in my city since i've got a space to do them in now. i don't know loads by any means, but definitely more than people that know nothing.

would like to particularly offer them to young people, women, older folks, and those that are a bit skint.

so... what would you include in a session? what did you wish you knew when you were starting out? what do you think is good knowledge? what's not important? etc.

things that are on the cards (will add to this as more things filter through my brain)

broad overview of how sound / speakers work
different types of system, active / passive speakers (workshop: say what you see with different types of system)
setting up a simple system (group activity)
troubleshooting and best practices (i would "break" an element of a system and the have to find out what it is - ideas here would be cool)
programming a DSP
system design and config (breaks out in to a workshop where a group is given a random assortment of speakers / drivers / amps / DSP and has to make decisions on x-overs / amps etc)
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2022 at 10:25am
I've taught a few of these from the viewpoint of occasional venue users. So I covered:

How to setup a basic system inc live mixer with an aux input, and a mic.
Identifying which power circuits to use
Types of cables
Types of mics
Types of mixers
Various stands
Examples of dispersion and coverage
Coiling Cables properly
How to do risk assessments
Basic lighting
How to setup DJ kit
How to use graphic eqs
How to mix bands to a basic standard
How and what monitors are used for
What to look out for.
What to do when shit hits the fan lol
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 11:45am
thanks samV!

looks like this project is a go...

i'd be really interested in anything else ppl have to offer here
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2023 at 8:05pm
If you can, try to promote this to some lasses as well and take them seriously if they come, give them as much space and answer their questions as you would the lads. We’re very boy heavy and it would be nice to see that evened out.

Signal path is almost certainly a starting point, from deck to speaker. Explaining this properly feeds into the discussion about how to fault finding as it’s exactly the same flow.
blah blah blah blah blah......
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2023 at 2:14pm
Could you implement a Dante class with it? Multiple computers and a big screen maybe and do your level 1 Dante training as a group?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2023 at 12:33pm
DANTE would definitely be outside of the scope but it's a nice idea

Edited by teeth - 11 April 2023 at 12:33pm
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2023 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Could you implement a Dante class with it? Multiple computers and a big screen maybe and do your level 1 Dante training as a group?

Back in feb we had a group of final year university students in the warehouse for a week, one of them couldn't figure out how a powerdrive stand worked......

Keep any training basic, i.e. start off with 2 speakers and a mixer amp.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2023 at 3:01am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

LOL
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2023 at 8:32am
Personally an intro chat would be good, to explain the differences in sounds. Mainly based on what they are intended for. Then a little on how this is achieved in planning, design and set up.

https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2023 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

Back in feb we had a group of final year university students in the warehouse for a week, one of them couldn't figure out how a powerdrive stand worked......

I have seem plenty of supposed professionals who still dont know how to use a speaker stand properly. Either the centre pole resting on the ground, or the leg braces at 45 degrees so you arent getting the full foorprint of the stand.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 8:12am
hi guys, i'm moving forward with this. would still love to hear any things you think new soundheadz should learn

one of the best things about this whole process was realising how little i know myself! i
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 11:38am
Talk about how to listen. I remember going to a demo of a new pro system and there was a bunch of engineers that just stood in one place and passed comment. No walking around the space, no interest in listening to tracks other than those the manufacturers had chosen. Knowing what to listen out for and how to work with this is vital. It’s not not just about putting on a mega loud sub drop tune and patting each other on the back when it hits…
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply