Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sound tech tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sound tech tools
    Posted: 03 December 2022 at 2:11pm
i've sadly lost my leatherman, RIP

so i'm now looking for a replacement. does anyone have a particular recommendation? 
i suppose it would be too much to ask for a specific sound tech / rigger multitool

can also make a thread about tools you love / can recommend to others i guess :]
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 2:19pm
headtorch, recently got a petzl bindi and i love it. super tiny and very bright. USB charging too.

miniware TS80P - incredible usb C soldering iron, i can't imagine living without it

recently got a wera kompact screwdriver set, and while expensive, it is absolutely great
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 12:57am
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 10:01am
I had a leatherman Wingman in the past which was great, and when that went walkies at a gig I got a Surge which has been even better.  (and also have a little T4 for going away camping and hiking)

Nothing wrong with gerber and other multitools, but leatherman really are a step above in quality, I wouldn't buy anything else these days. 

Other sound tool I couldn't do with out now is a Sound Bullet https://sonnectaudio.com/

Designed and manufactured by a friend "Italian Dave", an Italian sound engineer who's been living and working here in Glasgow for years now, it's honestly the best sound test tool available just now for problem solving and testing while setting up a system. LOADS of different functions and uses, so much crammed into such a small package, and excellent built quality. Dave Rat had jumped on them and done a big interview and tour of the factory in Italy where they're manufactured, and they've been getting rave reviews from everyone. Some good youtube videos that go through all the features and uses etc. 

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 08 December 2022 at 10:54am
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 10:40am
Another Leatherman tbh.
If it ain't broke (but lost) don't fix it (replace)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 10:40am
Oooh them sound bullets look superb
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 11:25am
I gave up owning nice leatherman type tools and just grab a couple of the cheap ones in lidl or wherever when I see them.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 2:52pm
As handy as a Leatherman / Gerber is, for an emergency situation…

They’re never a decent substitute for the proper tool for the job.
Decent set of side cutters and some Wera Screwdrivers and you’re already many times more productive. 

Basic plug in tester and voltmeter an essential, decent torch so you don’t drop your phone when trying to use it as one, couple of Y split cables with Convertcon’s in the middle to get you out of jail, a handful of wago’s, a label printer, also electricians scissors are well handy! Surgical forceps for fishing things out of little gaps, quad spanner, the list goes on…
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 2:52pm
I like the look of the sound bullet... Will pick one of those up I recon.

Cheers,

Dupe...
Dupe...
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

As handy as a Leatherman / Gerber is, for an emergency situation…

They’re never a decent substitute for the proper tool for the job.
Decent set of side cutters and some Wera Screwdrivers and you’re already many times more productive. 

Basic plug in tester and voltmeter an essential, decent torch so you don’t drop your phone when trying to use it as one, couple of Y split cables with Convertcon’s in the middle to get you out of jail, a handful of wago’s, a label printer, also electricians scissors are well handy! Surgical forceps for fishing things out of little gaps, quad spanner, the list goes on…

Yes - the list of essential tools is long. It ends up being a decent well-stocked toolbox, but saying that, I always have a decent torch - and my trusty Swiss Army knife on board when working!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 4:29pm
Surely OPs point is a pocket sized cover all replacement.
We all should have a well stocked toolkit ..

Leatherman all the way!
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2022 at 7:33pm
A multi tool is, in almost all circumstances, the wrong tool for the job. The knives are never as sharp as they need to be - they go blunt and people still use them, where as a cheapo snap blade is always sharp, or a snap away from being sharp. The screwdriver bits round screws far too easily, where as a good quality screwdriver leaves no trace on a fastening. The scissors are good for trimming your nails I guess, but if anyone has used a pair of CK electricians scissors then they know how poor the multi tool offerings are in comparison. 

I used to wear a leatherman by default, and it took me a good long time to come to terms with the above facts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>