Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundout Series III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundout Series III
    Posted: 17 April 2015 at 9:48pm
Just picked up this from flea bay, and plugged it in....voila......it works a dream. Despite being at least 35 years old the sliders are hardly crackling at all.

So, philistine that I am, plugged in Ipod Nano and we are away.

The decks have been replaced. One is a screwed Garrard SP25 MK IV but might be repairable. The other is one of those BSR things with a plastic turntable.

Does anyone know anything about the power amp size or when these were built? I seem to remember these in Roger Squires catalogue in 1976, but then again.......?

All help gratefully received.

Photos to follow
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 10:17pm
General Overview

This photo doesn't do the output meter justice - it's clean and all the figures are perfect - works as well

I am guessing that the DC fuse is for the MONO speaker outpur - what is the wattage?

The SP25 Mk IV with ceramic cartridge and no needle - and no counterweight. Works but needs a clean up

Close up of the Garrard

I never liked BSR decks and this one has had it - the thrust bearing is missing (I think) so the platter is resting on the plinth

Nice !
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2015 at 10:38am
Thats a nice deck you have there Ive always been after a series 3
The built in amps are about 150  watts  but will sound much louder
The right deck will be an original   Ive seen these with mk3 and 4s like this one  But the left deck has been replaced   That BSR is an autochanger out of a Fidelity or similar record player It would of had a long center spindle to hold a pile of 45`s on  
Best to look for another mk 4   I may have the parts you need for the right one   A piece of the tone arm is missing and the weight of course   but you have the cartridge slide  that is the hard to find piece
I alwasys thought these had magnetic carts in them but that would be a essential upgrade to make with a preamp and some Shure N75`s
There are usually plenty of Garrard SP25 mk4`s  IV`s on ebay but they are not cheap anymore 
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 6:52pm
Simon, The series III is in my Squire 77/78 catalogue, mono priced at £379.08 and Stereo at £560.52. Output is quoted at 200w rms or 2x for Stereo. It's shown fitted with BSR decks.
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:55am
Many thanks Greg, so probably a year two short of it's fortieth birthday.
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2015 at 9:28am
Breaking it open - inside the mixer, it looks great with no evidence of any repairs at all. Some minor corrosion on the back panel, but otherwise fine

But lifting the deck - jeeeeessssus...... the power amp board is wired up-in-the-air to the side panel and check out how the BSR has been installed.

Some time later there is now a BSR deck on ebay and I've put in a set of 6BA nylon bolts to give the clearance.

and with a few clean ups on the SP25 IV it plays it's first Vinyl.

simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:18pm
Another one for sale. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221761789115
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 6:04pm
I had one of these it sounded beautiful on low but as soon as I cranked it the sound distorted terribly I never did repair it I ended up practically giving it away (kicks himself very hard indeed )wish I had kept it and persued the fault biggest mistake I made selling that but I was young and stupid I guess if I saw one I'd have to buy it
simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 10:28pm
Very happy - have just picked up another SP25 Mark IV for £20 

simonreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:15pm

Splendid - works a treat so will be in this weekend.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 10:28pm
Simon can you post up a pic of the console when you have it fitted in all it's glory
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

Simon can you post up a pic of the console when you have it fitted in all it's glory

+1, Seeing these old consoles reminds of being 13 years old and 'inheriting' a load of old gear from my mates uncle which included a pair of consoles which I think were 'Sound Creations' from memory and loads of 'Fal' lightboxes with the dodgiest wiring you've ever seen. I can still remember being amazed at how loud the in-built amps seemed to be in the consoles even though they were probably only 150w each at most. We had loads of fun doing school and local scout group discos and by the time I was 15 I was DJing in a few local pubs, good times! 

Edit; And being 15 years old DJing in pubs I saw things I really shouldn't have seen for many, many years to come!LOL 

Edited by njw - 05 December 2015 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>