Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

soundprocessing rig digitally via laptop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: soundprocessing rig digitally via laptop
    Posted: 04 November 2009 at 7:18pm
I'm for.
No more sore back... Thumbs Up 

altho i am a big analog-sound-freak...

who's for, who's against? good arguments :p
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2009 at 11:35pm
you can already cannot remember software being used, but whole FOH GAE (german audio engineering) system being controlled via laptop and we're talking 5 years ago! even told you temperature of the amps! EQ, crossovers - might have been a DSP in the rack that a laptop connected to i dont know!
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 2:03pm
how often do pcs crash

how often to dsps crash

there's your answer
4 ohms is for wimps
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:00pm
i have never known osx to crash, idk bout' you ^^

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:38pm
what exactly are you talking about? many of the digital LMS have a software interface... appologies if you know this..
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:51pm
i mean, isn't it easier, and less expensive to process your sound via software on pc, then buying 5 different boxes, making your rack even more heavy :p Idk, imo soundprocessing is something really important and i'm making up my mind wether i'm gonna buy 5 different boxes or wether i'm gonna process it all via macbook. Run the signal coming from the mixer into logic. There compress, EQ, limit, ... and then back to the xo.
basically i'm asking if this would harm the soundquality in a way of sounding too digitally? Or doesn't it matter?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:14pm
most moder LMS (loudspeaker management systems) are pretty much an all in one box solution anyway. they'll do limiting, bit of eq and crossover, delays...
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by hond hond wrote:

i have never known osx to crash, idk bout' you ^^

MAC4LIFE since day 1 an all that still....OS X itself almost never crashes but processes (programs) can and do crash/get stuck/ "quit unexpectedly". 
I have in the past and currently use Plogue Bidule (google it) to do inserted EQ and dynamics on live gigs. When it works it works excellently but, my Firewire interface is not quite reliable enough and issues with that can crash the software. For example a small movement of the cable can interrupt the data flow and cause the audio to stop. High level transients eg unplugging of a DI can "stick" the ADC's into an error state and cause the audio on that channel to stop. I use it as a last resort but feel much more comfortable with dedicated 'ardware. 
But then in my case a better interface would solve most of my problems :)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:55pm
are you talking about actually processing the signal with a laptop or just controlling a lms?
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:59pm
nice one studio45 :)

cravings, I knew that but still, that's another box to buy :p
I think -if you have a decent firewireport :p-, working with a macbook should work out great. You can also make 1000 different savings while a LMS has only a few, no?(unless you can save it on a pc then)
I'm feeling pretty comfortable with logic so processing sound would be fun i think.. 

hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 6:59pm
Actually processing 
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 9:19pm
Wouldn't the price you would have to pay for a decent sound card to do the job probably as much as a lms?
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>