Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundsystem test session

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 8:46am

Mikey - thanks for sorting out the session.  Dave - thanks for the level readings.

Cheers
Si
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 12:47pm
Excellent session, very enjoyable and lots to play with. Thanks to Mikey for organising it!

The last time I had my eyes wobbled like this was at a Valve Sound gig a few years back.
I clocked an SPL of 132dB at the control desk when the two scoops were playing! Didn't need an SPL meter though as everything that wasn't nailed down was moving about the place :) Glasses, chairs (stacked on tables), rack case lids were all falling on the floor when these were cranked up....

Lots of good sounding stuff, Gaz's system sounded sweet all day and proved there's no substitute for more boxes when it comes to SPL, serious floor shaking stuff from 4 184 subs with kick bins.

I learned my V18-1200 reflex cabs will happily eat over 2kW without sounding strained so it looks like it's a bridged CX902 on each cab rather than the XP5000 i'm currently using....

All the mid-tops there sounded good, my Tannoy i12's probably ranked bottom so I need to keep searching for another pair of TQ310's to go with the pair I already have - really amazing cabs for the size. Simon's cabs I also loved (can't remember the model, sorry).

Roll on the next one..... Smile
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 2:56pm
Those scoops certainly made the room shake. 

Also loved Mikey's B&C18 sub, especially with the void primes.  I want some!  Those TQ310 cabs gave an amazing sound for their size.  Was pleased that my Opus MP400's didn't need to much eq.

Look forward to the next meet.
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 5:09pm
The mp400's were my favourite top, closely followed by the tq310. I also thought Gaz's disco supplies tops sounded good, and I imagine were considerably cheaper!

Was really impressed with the Fane Prime, i'd say that its the way to go for a 2xsub/2xtop system. They really did the business. David's V18-1200's put up a good fight though.

Really enjoyed it and was good to meet you all. Perhaps we could do it again later in the summer? Will give me the push to get mk2 PPSL done by then.

David...Thank you very much for bringing along all your test equipment. It really made the difference to the day.

hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 6:31pm
sounds like iv missed out once again! deffo going to make it down for the next one tho!

did you get to test the 1851.s ? or is there any info on this driver around? first iv heard of it 

cheers
Adam
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 6:39pm
we only tested the void prime in my sub18 and did an a/b test with a pd1851 against fane 1000 in the superscoops. was tough to tell between the scoops tbh, i reckon you'd need a stack playing each driver for a real test. didn't see the 1851(s) in the end.
hm, i'll pm you about the next one if/when a date gets set.
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 8:40pm
Gutted miss this too end up going to sound off instead due to schedule.. Hopefully next time...
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 12:31am
This was an excellent day out. Many thanks to you mikey for making it happen. Also thanks to Dave for measuring all my speakers, Interesting to see how they compared with the others there.
It was great to get to listen to speakers I hadn’t heard before and also to get the chance to properly crank up my rig! Well pleased with the way it sounds and also other people’s reactions to it.
I liked everything else that was there, the opus cabs after a little tweak on the eq sounded great. The speakers that particularly stood out for me though, were the Turbosound mid/tops and the fane XS prime. That prime is a SERIOUSLY impressive speaker! Thanks to pauliepaul for bringing it along. 100% definitely need to organise another meet soon.
100% Earth Moving Bass
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

100% definitely need to organise another meet soon.

there will be a date on the horizon pretty soon i reckon
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 10:37am

It was a good day, pity I was suffering from a near death case of man flu.....

Colossus Prime XS in the (very dusty!) Sub18 cabinet - very impressive!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 11:39am
Blimey, that pic makes the cab look like its been living in the tip for the  last 5 years. Its been sitting in the corner of my workshop during a very busy period (hence the dust). Was funny seeing clouds of dust plume from the vents when the prime was run hard!
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by PauliePaul PauliePaul wrote:

It was a good day, pity I was suffering from a near death case of man flu.....

Colossus Prime XS in the (very dusty!) Sub18 cabinet - very impressive!!

anyone given these new primes a test in a gsub yet. ? 2400watt sub thats going to move some air. Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>