Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Soundweb Green taking upto 30 mins before working?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soundweb Green taking upto 30 mins before working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soundweb Green taking upto 30 mins before working?
    Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:09pm
So I've just been informed that one of my installs which is using a 9088iis is taking forever to start up. Ie upto 30mins before the music comes through. But once it's working it's working fine even if you push it.

Apparently it's been happening for months but they've only just told me. Any ideas what's going on? The amps don't seem to have an issue.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:21pm
SMPSU issue I'd say. It will only get worse.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:36pm
Repairable?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 9:26am
this seems to happen with some BSS power supplies. i never solved it on my minidrive.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

this seems to happen with some BSS power supplies. i never solved it on my minidrive.

Still working?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 12:25pm
no i had a go at fixing it (i don't know anything about switch mode supplies.. but i swapped all the electrolytics, must have messed something up) and it doesn't work at all now.

before i killed it, it was taking a few minutes to power up and if you listened carefully there was a high pitched noise coming from the power supply area, increasing in pitch slowly while it charged or warmed up or whatever.

and there was a bar here i remember had an omnidrive with a big sticker on it saying " don't switch me off!" because it would take about a half an hour to come back on. (heh, i see it had its own facebook page.. link

and http://forum.speakerplans.com/bss-mindrive-no-power_topic74697.html
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 1:46pm
I've successfully fixed a 9088 (first gen, not II! ) power supply by swapping the electrolytics. The unit didn't have power up issues mind you, but was suffering from some substantial hum/noise. 

I hope the owner of the chinese restaurant where I installed it never calls me back though….. Tongue  fingers crossed……  

Trying to fix it could be worth the trouble, but maybe it would be better to find a replacement before pulling out the dodgy one for repair? I wouldn't want to be soldering against the clock, just to bodge it or find it's beyond repair in the end Ouch 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 2:12pm
There is a row of 0.1" molex pins that connect the PSU to the DSP with jumpers, you can make a 0.1" female to female lead and use another SW green to power up yours, if that cure it then you need a PSU fix, Mr BSS @ dpa-audio is an real option, but, and here is the but, if it is only caps, it is an easy fix, if it is more, you may start a job you need Gearge to finish, Baldock is a far run in a hurry.

I have BSS 9088 and 3088 if you need a unit to cover your gig during the repair..

S
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 4:19pm
Ah cheers chaps :) Sean do you know if I can just upload the same install file to the 3088 that I used for the 9088 or will I need to recreate?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 4:38pm
Hi Sam

No, you have to right click on the DSP mode in the top map and hit covert to 3088!!!!

:)
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 5:11pm
Awesome thanks, will have a look tomorrow.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2017 at 11:10am
Although these are usually a simple repair please remember that you are dealing with 335v which can sting, you may be better taking these to someone in the know...
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>