Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker 3D design software?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 10:14pm
I agree, inventor is a faster platform to use. Also less buggy.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 8:03am
I primarily use Siemens NX both at uni and at work.
The advanced options it offers in drawing especially in programmatic designing of parts such as parametric driven curves and surfaces is uncomparable to anything SolidWorks can do. Also the integration of CAM and FEM options are amazing if that is what you need. 
Having said that, i have tried and used SolidWorks before and found it easier to get the hang of.
Also NX is not really an affordable option.

Like others have said, it totally depends on what you know.
For designing speakers SolidWorks is more than adequate as is Inventor.
Choose what is available at reasonable price to you.

I still do a lot of simple stuff in sketchup, and probably way too much for what it is intended to do, but that is mainly for quick ''sketching'' just to see how shapes work and what they really look and feel like compared to a person you can easily drag into the files.
Final files is always done in CAD because as said before, it actually allows you to make an assembly and see what problems might come up. Possible in sketchup, but not easy.
Best regards,
Teun.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:30am
Interesting that everyone suggests expensive software and potentially advocating for piracy.

Free and good option is Autodesk Fusion360.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 3:51pm
Quote Free and good option is Autodesk Fusion360.
Sadly the Autodesk 'free for students so long as you don't do anything commercial with the work' deal only extends to people currently studying at one of their partner educational establishments.

Technically it's not piracy, and I guess you couldn't say that you're stealing their software, but you are violating their terms of service. It's a thin moral line and I suppose no laws are broken but it's something to be aware of.

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Pasi Pasi wrote:

advocating for piracy

Advocating piracy for 0 profit activities and subsequent purchase for profitable activities?
Nah, wouldn't find that sort of advice on the internet 🤔
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
Quote Free and good option is Autodesk Fusion360.
</span>Sadly the Autodesk 'free for students so long as you don't do anything commercial with the work' deal only extends to people currently studying at one of their partner educational establishments.

Technically it's not piracy, and I guess you couldn't say that you're stealing their software, but you are violating their terms of service. It's a thin moral line and I suppose no laws are broken but it's something to be aware of.

Incorrect. Fusion 360 is free even for business as long as turnover is under 100 000. Says on Fusion360 licensing options. For hobbyists & students it's also free for good. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:39am
I always forget about Fusion as an option, but for those on a budget of zero I would recommend it. I didn't like it much when I tried but I think that was because it was so similar yet different from Inventor. If I had to use it, I am sure it would be a decent CAD s/w. The added CAM features are a nice bonus too although I have not tried these out. I expect they are are a cut down version of the HSM options in inventor but still more then suitable for most projects on a hobby level.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12