Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker advice
    Posted: 03 July 2014 at 1:46pm
Hi!

I've been using the original t-amp together with a pair of fullrange Philips 22AH461/12R with nice results when EQd. But now I feel like upgrading in order to be able to play louder and without the need for EQ.

Recently I ordered a Muse M50 (2*50W class T) and plan to build a couple of small and lightweight cube speakers. I have been looking at 2 way car speakers (4" to 9") like Infinity and JBL with high efficiency but also fullrange drivers. I don't like the sound from metal tweeters and I wan't hearable low bass. I understand that the bass response is affected by the cabinet size and design. The car speakers sound best with a sealed cabinet? and the fullrange with a bass reflex port? If I want the cabinet to be as small as possible what would you choose? Do you have any hints on good value for the money drivers which handles about 50W RMS?
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 2:03pm
How big may the cabinet be?
zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 2:36pm
The philips cabinet is 24 x 34 x 16 cm  (10" x 13" x 6") about 13 litres. Preferably not bigger if possible.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 3:06pm
In total or per speaker? Have look at the Dayton ND105.
zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 3:57pm
Per speaker.
mr. doom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. doom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2014 at 2:05pm
Metal tweeters are are not the problem. Some of the smoothest sounding speakers use metal domes, the magic or fail happens in the x-over.
zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 7:50pm
Ok, I didn't know that. I was thinking about those metal cone tweeters. I did own a couple of Monitor Audio S8s and those tweeters were fine (and most likely the crossovers too ;) )
zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 8:31pm
I think I will go with a couple of JBL 4"s and build them into two small cube cabinets and add a third cube (or tube) as a subwoofer with two Dayton ND105 4ohm elements powered by a Muse m20 ex2 TA2020 (I already have one). I should probably use an adjustable low-pass filter for the ND105s?
zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 9:45pm

Found one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C51AX4048

zeo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 9:13pm

I listened to some car speakers and they sounded pretty awful all of them =(

lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 9:41pm
Two ND105's in a 18 liter cabinet tuned to 44hz running fullrange.
Or build the Boominator Mini.
 Post Reply Post Reply