Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker enclosure design for begginers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker enclosure design for begginers
    Posted: 04 January 2018 at 4:19pm
Hi,
I would really like to play around with designing some speakers, in particular folded horns.
I am a beginner in this field and have spent the past few days searching the internet for information on it. So far I am struggling to find helpful information. Lots of articles explaning horn resp, but not going into detail about how to properly measure the values, not explaining how to fold the horn into a box etc.
So basically I am looking for a very detailed guide that is aimed at begginers.
Can anyone shed any light, reading material etc?
Thanks in advance
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 4:44pm
There is a very helpful  guide here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/36532-hornresp-dum-hmm-everyone.html

Its annoying that all the images have expired tho. Could message the OP'er to see if he is able to update them. 
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 4:51pm
Yes thanks
Already read that one earlier and the lack of pictures did my head in as I kept swapping tab to an image of the hornresp main screen.
I feel that all the hornresp guids still dont help someone without the basic knowlege. And its tbe basic knowlege I am trying to find explained.
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 9:00pm
Have a look at Brian Steele's spreadheets here
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sheets/
These mostly relate to Tapped horn style folds- but might help get you started.

What kind of horn do you want to make anyway?
I often find it is easier to start with the folded box and then unfold it to find the horn path.
I use Solidworks CAD to do the unfolding process. This is a parametric CAD system. I draw a centre line sketch in the folded plan and use that to drive the unfolded sketch. I can then adjust the dimensions of the box and that changes the size of the unfolded horn.

To find out the sort of stuff I do just google
Xoc1
Or
Xoc1 TH18

Edited by Xoc1 - 04 January 2018 at 9:00pm
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 9:27pm
Thanks for the info

I am not fixated on one particular design, I would just like to be able to design in general, will start with exponential horns which I will fold into a box. (On a seperate note I think your designs are great! I nearly built one)

There are a few things I would like to clear up though.

Lots of guides talk of the throat as being circular amd that it is the diameter you use to find throat area however arent most throats not circular? So what constitutes the area of the throat?

When they say for 100hz the mouth needs to be 1.7m minimum is that the area of the mouth?

The length of horn neck where in the speaker is the measurement taken? Down the center of all paths?

Is there a formula for the exponential rate the area of the flare increases by? What are the values I use for this formula?

Can any one shed light on the sealed chamber? Any rules to follow with this?

How to sort out phase distortion at the mouth?

Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 10:04pm
The area of the throat is just the area of the throat be it round or rectangular.

The length of the path what you referred to as the neck, is down the centre line.
I tend to prefer a method Known as the advanced centre line method
Google
Speaker horn advanced centre line method
and that should bring up a couple of links.

The width of the horn mouth for a certain frequency is a theoretical dimension that almost no one uses. It relates to pure horns and is the reason why almost everyone who builds proper horns with a chamber makes multiple cabinets.
A Turbosound style Bandpass horn uses bass chamber loading to boost the lower end to make up for the small mouth size and short horn path - like a Speaker plans HD15.
Tapped horns use a diiferent method again, and will go lower with a smaller mouth or louder with a bigger mouth.
You have got to experiment untill you come up with something that suits you!

Do try to get to grips with Hornresp it is an extremely powerful program now and has filter simulations that are extremely useful to see how a cabinet will perform.

swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 10:14pm
Thanks will look into that technique now.
Also have set aside tomorrow to try get the hang of hornresp, im sure questions will follow...
Finally.on tapped horns is there an equation or a certain length path that lines up the waves from the front of the driver with the ones produced at rear so they are in phase?
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 11:04pm
The path length of a tapped horn sets up the delay- But the actual width of the tapped horn also has an effect. A lot of older designs have less path and more width - Like a MTH30 or a J Bell Stadium horn - But more modern designs tend to have a longer path like a Othorn for instance.
Again Hornresp is your friend here - You can use the Loudspeaker wizard to dynamically change the size and shape of a horn and see the differences all the parameters make. The only problem with that is you tend to come up with something that seems to work really well, and then you notice how big it is!
I think my next design - build might be a TPQWR like a Martinson Roar15. I want to build a real budget cab for a 12Volt rig and I think that design should work well with some budget drivers that don't perform well in a conventional tapped horn.
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 9:35am

Hi Martin

What do you think of the Roar15/18. I'm curious and want to knock up a cab to hear what it sounds like.

Rish
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 10:50am
I think the Roar type design has some promise.
Some build details in DIY audio subwoofer section.
There is a big suck out above the passband that could be problematical
FR is not very smooth
But there is a peak in the middle of the passband where a tapped horn has a dip especially if used with a more budget driver.
I going to try do assess this, as I have a mate who would be happy to build a couple of cabs if they are cheap and loud for a 12Volt rig project we have going.
Not really the thread to discuss this.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 11:22am
No free ride on this one I'm afraid, best I can suggest is start by modelling a sealed box and understanding the parameter interactions there because it's the simplest mounting condition outside of a baffle only. Then try a vented box, then progress up to simple horns etc.

It's one of those subjects where you'll get out results proportional to the effort you put in.
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 12:10pm
I am learning that more and more as I go through this.
However I finally feel like I have made some real progress today and yesterday.
Feel like I have a good understanding of the theory and characteristics to aim for for a succesful horn speaker.
My maths is good, all be it a little rusty, and have just spent the past 5 hours learning the fields in hornresp and the theory behind them. Iv still got a very long way to go but am seeing a clearer picture now. Just going to go through my notes and then install hornresp and have a go putting it into action. Exciting times.
If anyone could reccomend the first thing to do using hornresp for the first time that would be great. Should I draw a design on sketchup then enter parameters on hornresp? Should i enter values into horn resp then try design a cab around it?
Its this point I am very confused about, i know what to enter in each box on hornresp but how do i go from there to actually designing something.
Any help massively appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>