Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker enclosure design for begginers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by swoo swoo wrote:

I am learning that more and more as I go through this.
However I finally feel like I have made some real progress today and yesterday.
Feel like I have a good understanding of the theory and characteristics to aim for for a succesful horn speaker.
My maths is good, all be it a little rusty, and have just spent the past 5 hours learning the fields in hornresp and the theory behind them. Iv still got a very long way to go but am seeing a clearer picture now. Just going to go through my notes and then install hornresp and have a go putting it into action. Exciting times.
If anyone could reccomend the first thing to do using hornresp for the first time that would be great. Should I draw a design on sketchup then enter parameters on hornresp? Should i enter values into horn resp then try design a cab around it?
Its this point I am very confused about, i know what to enter in each box on hornresp but how do i go from there to actually designing something.
Any help massively appreciated

One good way of learning is to "reverse engineer" existing plans, so you can check what you're doing matches what they're supposed to be capable of. There's a thread here with input parameters for a lot of the common DIY plans you could start with.

Once you're happy with that, find a plan on the web and try working out the input parameters for yourself.

HTH,
David.
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 1:54pm
Thanks will give that a go
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 3:47pm
Okay, I have just tried my own design. Something (or many things have gone horribly wrong).

Would appreciate if someone could take a look and suggest places where I have gone wrong, and clear up somethings I am confused on. 

Driver used was an Eminence 3015lf (dont know why I just chose this). Width of cab is 80cm. 

Here is the plan: 

And here are the parameters I input:

Which gave me these results:

This seems ridiculously bad.

Now here are some questions I have, my ignorence of these probably play part in the awful sim.

Driver Pmax - what is this, maximum power handling? as in RMS (w) ?

VRC - Rear chamber volume. Is this minus the  rear of the driver (magnet, basket) volume? If so how would this be calculated?

VTC - Throat chamber volume. From where to where? As in my design where would it start and finish?

ATC - Throat cross sectional area. But at which point? The middle of the driver? 

S1 - I gather this is at very beginning of throat
S2 - This is from the middle of the driver
S5  - At the mouth
But how do I choose where to put S3, S4? Is it random? evenly spread? At the folds?

L12 / L23 / L34 / L45 - How do you calculate weather they are EXP, PAR or CON?

It says in red (bottom right hand corner): Caution Vrc / Lrc < Sd. How do I correct this?

When I go to see results it asks: "Do you want to mask throat chamber and rear chamber resonance". How do I answer here ?  

Any help would be great.

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:17pm

Okay, I have just tried my own design. Something (or many things have gone horribly wrong).
<snip>
This seems ridiculously bad.

Now here are some questions I have, my ignorence of these probably play part in the awful sim.

Driver Pmax - what is this, maximum power handling? as in RMS (w) ?

VRC - Rear chamber volume. Is this minus the  rear of the driver (magnet, basket) volume? If so how would this be calculated?

VTC - Throat chamber volume. From where to where? As in my design where would it start and finish?

ATC - Throat cross sectional area. But at which point? The middle of the driver? 

S1 - I gather this is at very beginning of throat
S2 - This is from the middle of the driver
S5  - At the mouth
But how do I choose where to put S3, S4? Is it random? evenly spread? At the folds?

L12 / L23 / L34 / L45 - How do you calculate weather they are EXP, PAR or CON?

It says in red (bottom right hand corner): Caution Vrc / Lrc < Sd. How do I correct this?

When I go to see results it asks: "Do you want to mask throat chamber and rear chamber resonance". How do I answer here ?  

Any help would be great.

P Max, yes, continuous power of the driver, 400W or thereabouts for the 3015LF IIRC.

VRC - Yes, deduct the volume of the backside of the driver here. Some manufacturers provide this - I think Eminence are one that does so you should be able to get it from their product page. However it'll only be 3 or 4 litres for a neo 15, so won't make a vast difference when you've got 100 ish litres to play with. It makes much more difference for midhorns where the rear chamber is much smaller.

NOTE - you've entered LRC in mm where it should be cm (10x smaller) - that's why your schematic looks so odd. This will also fix the red text warning you asked about.

VTC - for a design like yours, that would only be the volume of the cavity represented by the loudspeaker cone itself - so something like 3-4 x SD would be enough as a rough estimate to get you started here. 

ATC - for your design, use SD assuming you would simply cut a circular hole in the baffle and have the whole driver fire straight into the horn.

S1, S2 etc, yes those are the areas of the horn as you move down its length. Note that what you've drawn is actually closer to an arrangement called "Offset Driver" in Hornresp - double click on the input field Nd to select this, or I think it can be found in one of the menus in the design wizard too. It's only when using this option (or a couple of others) that you need S2 to be at the middle of the driver - in a straight mid horn for example, S1 would be the area nearest the driver.

L1,L2 etc - you want these spaced relatively evenly down the length of the horn, taking care to set them at representative locations eg if you had a horn that flared out towards the end you'd want to make sure S4 was at the start of that last flare, where the change in expansion happens.

As to the type, you select whatever matches what you're trying to model. Par actually matches the mathematical relationship between length and width best, for the type of horn you're playing with.

I never mask the resonances as I prefer to see a worst case scenario - if you turn on the masking you get a smoother looking graph (which is sometimes closer to reality), but can leave you ignorant of issues that may need fixed. Again, like the driver volume/VRC thing, it makes a bit less difference on a bass horn than a mid though.

HTH,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 07 January 2018 at 4:18pm
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:32pm
Thanks for taking the time to clear that up, great help I will update the sim now. 

What is this PAR you mention that helps decided what EXP, PAR, CON  the flare is?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:41pm

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up, great help I will update the sim now. 

What is this PAR you mention that helps decided what EXP, PAR, CON  the flare is?

It's the mathematical relationship between the length of the horn and it's cross sectional area at any given point along its length.

Here's a quick illustration, but remember that in a horn with parallel walls such as your eg (and almost all bass horns) you're looking at having expansion in only one dimension instead of two, which is why the Par characteristic, even though it doesn't look like it's right, is actually the better fit.
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:48pm
Just re simmed it. Does this look about right (and its just a very bad design)? How do I read the cone diagram? 

swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:49pm
Also will change the EXPs to PARs as suggested 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:56pm

Just re simmed it. Does this look about right (and its just a very bad design)? How do I read the cone diagram? 

Looks a lot more like your diagram, for sure.

To change the expansion type for each segment, press P while the cursor is on any of the segment length fields.

Now you've got the right kind of numbers in the right place, start playing with different rear chamber volumes, different segment lengths and areas to see if you can improve it - then once you've done that see if you can then fit it back into a sensible layout.

You may find that that driver just isn't suited to horn loading (I don't know - I haven't ever tried modelling it myself) or you might get a perfectly useable result Thumbs Up

The Cone diagram is showing you that you have an expansion that slows down in the second half of the horn (it's not tapering outwards as much after S4) which is normally the opposite of what you want, so try reducing S3 & S4 and increasing S5 a bit and see what that might do.

Edited by DMorison - 07 January 2018 at 4:57pm
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 5:10pm
Ah great finally after 4 days trying feel like I have got somewhere with it. Thanks for your help. Will give it a go improving the design. :) 
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 7:32pm
How have you managed to get hornresp on mac? 
Been trying for a while
swoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 7:47pm
Through something called wineskins, download it then look for a youtube tutorial with an indian man speaking over, shows you how. Its very easy n worked first time and im awful with computors
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>