Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPEAKER PAINT.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Andy Kos Andy Kos wrote:

If you think about it, there are probably a few other topics (and related people!) who also appear on here with monotonous regularity spouting the same old crap with the same old arguments about the same old nonsense...

HOW VERY DARE YOU. I HAVE NEVER SPOUTED THE SAME OLD CRAP. Mostly because I make it up as I go along....LOL
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 2:03pm
Hi guys, I know there has been a complete shed load of threads on this paint malarkey, but I would really value some experienced, honest opinions, on the best way to proceed with painting my cubo 15s. I have 4. They are only going to be used, at the very most, once a month. I have a pair of 15-2s which are finished in Tuff cab, these go out about twice a month. Have had them about 6 months and I reckon that they will need a touch up in about another 6 months to stop them looking scruffy. I can pretty much live with this, as Tuff cab is not fabulously expensive, however given my circumstances, is it really worth using Tuff cab pro or Aldcrofts on the cubos? Maybe even really push the boat out and go Line X? I have no idea of the costs involved. Would any of you super kind, speaker design gods, be so good as to enlighten a numpty, like myself??!!!

Thanks.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 3:18pm
Bought some capacyrilic this morning painted a cab it seems good for now,did it with a textured roller. The texture is not so pronounced but seems good for a quick diy job,maybe a few more coats would do it more justice.
Marjan at the end of the day i aint looking for a pro paint job :) And although i have a compressor at disposal i find it too much of a hassle playing with 2 pack toxic stuff,so acrylic all the way.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 3:39pm
Im using tuff cab.

i think every company touches up there cabs at least once a year.
i think we are all looking into this waaaay to much. Just buy to the best of our budget and accept we WILL have to touch up the cabs at some point.

You can spend £70 now and paint all your cabs and a further £40-50 on a touch up once a year or spend £150-250 a cab and not touch them up for another 5-10years.

the question is do you wana pay in dribs and drabs or one bulk payment now?

...im a dribs and drabs man. Theres something relaxing about spending a day touching up cabs (no smutty jokes!!!)
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 7:03pm
been painting a load of cabs this week using oil based floor paint, used less than 1 litre at a cost less than £2 (£50 for 25 litres). It does the job, its quite strong but a bit too shiny
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 7:09pm
How long did it take to stop smelling? Like two months?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 9:14pm
Well atleast its better than the first time i painted and used glossy paint for boats LOL

adult image upload
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 10:21pm
Oil based floor paint goes a VERY long way, I have used it to paint floors - and a 25kg tub paints a lot of
warehouse.

Thing is with floor paint, it isnt very viscous, so you are applying a VERY thin coat, thats why you use so little.

Part of the point of speaker paint is to get a THICK coat, and to create a textured surface, usually the aim is for a texture that is even all over the cabinet to hide little bumps, nicks and scratches. A thick coat, that has CURED properly is more durable than a thin coat of floor paint.

Edited by Andy Kos - 06 June 2015 at 10:44pm
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 10:30pm
  I've used floor paint before and was very unimpressed, you would only have to catch your boot on a cab and it would leave a scuff, if you caught the edge of the cab on a doorframe there would be more paint on the doorframe than the cab LOL.  I did buy it from b&q though. And it smelled for way longer than two months, every time I set up in a venue people thought the painters had been in! Tuffcab all the way for me now.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2015 at 11:11pm
sandtex exterior masonry paint is also hard wearing but its so hard it cuts your hands up if you dont wear gloves
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2015 at 12:46am
I ma curious, has anyone tried concrete paint. Or one they use to mark streets with?
A guy local to me got some Martin Brother boxes years ago and the paint on them sure looked like cement paint.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2015 at 12:53am
im going to experiment with this stuff soon

looks easy to do and hard wearing , ive got some sp5's to paint before sale and some 12/1 to refurb
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>