Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPEAKERPLANS - DM 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPEAKERPLANS - DM 2
    Posted: 24 January 2008 at 9:04am
http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=dm2

HEY ALL....Was just wondering if anyone has build this cab.....
Just realised ive got all the neccessary bits to make a pair.....just from stuff that lying around... (would only be used as a side fill, stood atop a single 18" reflex)
Any feedback appreciated....
I imagine firstly that they are pretty heavy??

cheers,
Chris.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 1:11pm
Since its already a massive box I would be inclined to split it into 2x15 underneath, 2x10 and horn on top.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 1:40pm
I can see why that would be handy.
(but to be fair....if they we're seperate, i wouldnt deem them 'castor' worthy (laughs)

.......you ever heard one 'as is', in the design??
cheers,
Chris
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 1:54pm
I have heard the Delta 10s, not great you could probably use the Deltalites these days that would cut down the weight significantly

Again with the Kappalites, but you said you already have the right drivers.

It all depends if you already have big cabs you haul around really, that sort to sized box wouldnt fit anywhere near any vehicle apart from a van.

And if you split it you could probably use the 2x15 on its own as a small sub in a mobile rig, so it would just enable some flexibility.

Also having the 10s at the same height as the 15"s would mean you have to get the mids up to ear level, which means it must always be put on a bass bin or platform

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 24 January 2008 at 1:55pm
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 3:49pm

mmmm....

food for thought ;)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 8:25pm
Basically the DM2 is a rather old school design, not exactly refined.  It's a simple way to make a loud, full range box.

If you had those components I'd suggest building some single 15",10"+HF boxes in a more conventional column arrangement.  Maybe two 15" drivers per box if you really wanted.

There's lots of ways of doing it but the DM2 as-is probably isn't the way to go....

godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:25pm

if you plan on using them as sidefills Im not sure I see the point of an 18 underneath other than raising the dm2 to head height. more bass wash on stage=more mud in mains

LOUDER THAN LOUD
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:02pm
another thing about splitting the dm2 in half if you needed a whole dm2 per side [ie two halves] then youd be possibly running into dispersion problems, as from what i know reflex cabs are hard to array?

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:16pm
Reflex cabs are no harder to array than horns, especially since the top end (the important bit to get the arraying right) is usually still horn loaded anyway!
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:23pm
aha like i said i know very little about dispersion to be hoest,
so can you stick something like four x10 in one pile? [splayed or trap cabs] 2 per side without combing issues?
forget what i said prevously!
no dont forget it, just note it as false info.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:42pm
if you decide to make one ive got some passive crossovers that would suit.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:54pm
Markk:

How well boxes will array depends mainly on the width of dispersion on the horn and how well it's controlled.  You then need to splay the boxes such that between the two, the coverage is constant, ie without a peak or dip where the output of the two sums together.

With the 18Sound horns I use, which claim to be 60deg wide, I find an angle of about 45deg between the box fronts gives a constant coverage.

Comb filtering is minimised by having horns with a good control of the dispersion and the most attenuation off-axis.  This way you are normally listening to either one box or another rather than a mix of the two with different path lengths etc.

Midrange isn't so much of an issue because the wavelengths are longer.  This can be one of the main reasons for wanting to get the crossover point from cones to compression drivers lower, often below 1kHz on PA boxes.

Personally, if I needed more than two or three point source boxes per side I would tend towards using a line array but that's another discussion entirely....!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>