Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speakers for Behringer B1800x box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote To3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speakers for Behringer B1800x box
    Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:51pm

Hello,

I purchased 2 Behringer B1800x Eurolive 18" subwoofer cabinets with blown speakers.

I would like to use these for a gig in 3 weeks and would like to add new and better speakers.  I started to purchase the Peavey speakers listed below, but after reading some of "The Loud Speaker Design Cookbook 4th edition" I came to the conclusion that I don't have enough knowledge to evaluate the speaker's suitability. 

So I have 3 main questions:
===================
1) How would a Peavey 1808-8 CU BWX work in in this box (specs below)?

2) Any speaker recomendations for this box?  I am willing to re-tune ports and modify the insulation, but ideally I don't wish to rebuild the cabintes. The Peaveys are about $160 each and appear to be good value.  I don't want to spend too much more than this amount per speaker.
3) Is this cabinet realistically too small for a decent 18" sub woofer (volume info below)?

Volume of Enclosure:
==============
The raw internal volume is 151 liters.  It is 102.7 liters after subtracting for braces, ports, x-over, handles, pole mount, speaker, and insulation.

Raw internal volume: 151.7 L
Insulation:  34.5 L (apporx 2" thick dacron on the sides, top, back, and front)
Internal brace: 2.45 L
2 ports :  6.03 L total (6" OD x 6.5" long, 5.5" ID)
x-over: 0.344 L
2 handles: 1.46 L total
Pole Mount: 0.377 L
Speaker: 3.77 L
Note: There are some rounding errors converting from cubic inches to liters.

Secondary Questions:
==============
1) Does one subtract the volume of the insulation for the net volume as I have done here when speking of cabinet sizes?  Without subtracting the insulation, then the volume is approx 137.2 L net instead of approx 102.7 L.

2) Does anyone have the specs for the old 18" speakers that were in these? 
    (Behringer Model 18P400A8, 400W power handling, 8 ohm, ser # 4 033653 060110)

3) A link to a forum posting on the merits of WinISD or other SW reccommendations?

Peavey 1808-8 CU BWX:
================
From Parts Express
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-307
"High efficiency 18" woofer that excels in both vented and horn-loaded bass enclosures. Designed to work in small vented enclosures (3.5 to 6.5 cu. ft.) with surprising bass extension and very high output. Great for DJs and musical instrument applications."

From Peavey:
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116632/1808-8%20CU%20BWX.cfm

• 18"
  • Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Power capacity: 2000 W Peak 1000 W Program 500 W Continuous
  • Sensitivity: 97.7 dB / 1 W 1 m
  • Usable freq. range: 35 Hz ~ 1 kHz
  • Cone: Kevlar® impregnated cellulose
  • Voice coil diameter: 4.0" / 100 mm
  • Voice coil material: Copper ribbon wire Polyimide-impregnated fiberglass former Nomex® stiffener Solderless diffusion welded OFHC copper leads
  • Net weight lb. / kg: 18 lbs. / 8.2 kg
  • Znom (ohms) 8
  • Revc (ohms) 5.93
  • Sd (Square Meters) 0.1237
  • BL (T/M) 23.12
  • Fo (Hz) 35.1
  • Vas (liters) 312.7
  • Cms (uM/N) 143.9
  • Mms (gm) 143.2
  • Qms 9.934
  • Qes 0.350
  • Qts 0.338
  • Xmax (mm) 4.6
  • Le (mH) 0.66
  • SPL (1W 1m) 97.7
  • No (%) 3.73%
  • Vd (cu. in. / ml) 69.4 / 1138
  • Pmax (Watts pgm.) 1000
  • Disp (cu. in. / ml) 228 / 3737
  • Weight Unpacked: 18.02 lb(8.175 kg)
  • Weight Packed: 21.03 lb(9.537 kg)
  • Width Packed: 7"(17.78 cm)
  • Depth Packed: 20.25"(51.435 cm)
  • Height Packed: 19.37"(49.1998 cm)

Thank you,
Todd

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:50pm
I don't know what a good driver would be for that box but, when working out the volume don't worry about the insulation/liner etc. In simple terms the air inside the box doesn't really take any notice of it.
With regards to the software question, just search the site as there's loads on here about WinISD, BassBoxPro, Horn Response amongst others.

EDIT: Forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

Edited by djeddie - 04 January 2011 at 11:50pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 3:58pm
I reckon the Peaveys would be fine, they have around twice the Xmax of the original Berry drivers.

If you intend to give them a bit of spanking probably better if you use them with and external X-over, although the internal berry X-over looks well made I don't now if it would take the extra power of the Peavey. It is only 25% extra so it could be OK.

They would sound totally different to the woolly sound of the original drivers and I reckon it would be a very cost-effective upgrade.
Check the boxes before purchase though as this series of Berry enclosures would often fall apart of their own volition. Check all joints etc.

Tony

www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Big-G View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 12:23am
I know someone who has a pair of these on his mobile disco, he replaced the original drivers with Eminence sigma pro's when the originals let go, they sound loads better than the originals.
They know what is what but they don't know what is what they just strut what the .
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 12:30am
my old pair were loaded with PD186's (have to fill the boltholes and drill new ones), bypass the xover, and an ideal 1000w rms per cabinet and my god they shift some air and sound really good!!

i later adjusted the tuning of the cabinet on the ports to take the tuning point down slightly, but dont have any of the details from that mod any more (good 6years back now!).

Sorry if its way over budget, but is something i can recommend from personal experience.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply