Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spec'ing up new bar system...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spec'ing up new bar system...
    Posted: 09 October 2017 at 4:30pm
Hello,

I've been entrusted with upgrading the sound system at a local bar...

The place gets busy every weekend but the sound system cannot cope with the level that the crowd demand. I am the resident DJ and wear foam ear plugs all night as it just sounds so rough. It currently has Funktion One 4X F88's and 2X Minibass 212 and some further compact F1 speakers at the far end of the bar. The owner of the venue bought the rig 10 years ago and hasn't had it serviced or maintained once in that time. I don't think any of the speakers are blown as the rig is heavily limited to the point where you can't hear the tune your mixing in until the bass of the previous one is dropped out, its horrible. If I keep the volume sensible people just moan at me to turn it up...

It lacks bass, low mid and overall sounds really harsh and shouty. Not nice. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that it is being pushed beyond its working capacity.

I've recommended we move all the F1 gear to the far end of the bar (away from the dancefloor) and run it on a separate output so that it can be kept at a lower volume and operate at a more comfortable level. Then put a new system in the dance floor area that is much more capable of providing the level of sound that the people want.

The owner of the venue has a pair of G-Subs, and a pair of MT122's in storage from a previous project. I'm going to try and use as much as what is left lying around to keep the costs down (he doesn't like spending money ha)...

So am thinking the pair of G-Subs for sub bass, I think they're Fane loaded but will have to check...

Mid/Top wise I'm unsure. Really want the system to sound nice and warm with plenty of thud. Play a lot of Urban and Dance Hall stuff as well as the standard chart, dance classics, kisstory style stuff.

Was thinking I could try and design a 15"/8"/1" reflex box to fly either side of the booth at the front of the dance floor, and maybe a pair of 12"/1" for the rear of the dance floor. Running the 15" without a high pass to increase the kick bass at the front of the dance floor (as subs will have to go at the back!).

Amp wise I know there are some Behringer iNuke's and an EP2500 lying around. There is also a BSS Omnidrive and a DBX Driverack PA. Some reasonable kit just needs the most making out of it!

I have drawn up a crude overhead of the venue. The stars indicate where the current F88's are, solid lines are brick walls.<span style="line-height: 1.4;"></span>

Any input appreciated!

Thanks, Joe.

Edited by SmokeyJoe - 09 October 2017 at 10:25pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 1:14pm
how big is this room?
 Post Reply Post Reply