Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spirit studio power supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spirit studio power supply
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:12pm
Hi,
 i've just been given an old 24ch soundcraft spirit studio, but they had thrown out the powersupply, anyone got a simple way for me to get this lump running? i read the original CPS 150 doesn't sound amazing but would suffice and can be modded, or the A&H rps11 can be used but at £600 i think not.

cheers al
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:16pm
Lovely old desk, I haz one too :) You can pick up power supplies on the bay of E every so often for not very much.

Never noticed the CPS150 sounding bad. What am I missing out on?

PS - Weigh a fair bit don't they :D
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:28pm
Yeh, big n heavy! was just told i could have an old unnused spirit desk and assumed it would be a tiddler..

According to this thread below, the original psu was underpowered and blows up when too many channels are being used, it can also introduce hum a little, and theres lots of overall mods to make the desk sound 'nicer'.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/410194-soundcraft-spirit-studio.html

and a simple few mods to make the psu better: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/139510d1255273439-soundcraft-spirit-studio-cps-150-mod.pdf

think i'll keep an eye on evil bay.

cheers

p.s. i almost came to your noise night on sat, maybe next time..

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:36pm
I didn't know you were into noise? I wasn't a big fan of the night to be honest.

I wonder if my CPS150 is a upgraded one or something, it's been used with all the channels and groups with large signals getting a battering from Drum Eyes.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 8:33pm
if you find yourself in need of a more manly psu Ive got one of the large format cps supplies sat here somewhere doing nothing. drop me a line if youre interested and Ill dig it out from the depths of the pile and furnish you with useful details.
LOUDER THAN LOUD
 Post Reply Post Reply