Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Square ports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Square ports
    Posted: 24 August 2016 at 2:34pm
Hi, 

If winISD calculates a square port depth of say 150mm and I measure that from the front of the baffle, what do you do about the 18mm lip/overhang which surrounds 3 sides of the port? how much affect will this have on the tuning frequency?

Or would it be better to include the edge in your port depth and put a bar across like you can see in this pic.

Which is the best approach?
Thanks for the help

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 2:52pm
So called 'shelf' ports such as this will actually appear acoustically much longer due to their position in the cabinet.  The effect is quite significant.  On the internal end you can expect the effective length to be extended by about the height of the port.  However there are no definitive rules and in most cases, prototyping is necessary to get it spot on.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 9:42am
Ok thanks for the info. 

So would it be safe to say that winISDs prediction would be the shortest the shelf will be? So I could build to that and add to the shelf rather than building it too long and hacking it out somehow?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:05am
Other way round.  WinISD will tend to design the ports too long.  What I find tends to work as a very rough rule of thumb is to design in WinISD for the tuning to be about 5Hz or so higher than you actually want it to be.  The effective length of the ports will get you down towards your target.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:47am
Ah right thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go.
Cheers
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 1:29pm
It's BassBoxPro that handles shelf ports the best in my experience. Always been near spot on.

Edited by SamV - 25 August 2016 at 1:30pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 1:20am
"It's BassBoxPro that handles shelf ports the best in my experience. Always been near spot on. "

+1
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply