Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Square X12?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Square X12?
    Posted: 21 June 2007 at 8:53pm
Suppose the X12 box was made square. This would be fairly straightforward, and you could keep the volume the same. It would also remove the need for Mitres.

My boggle is this; what affect (if any) would it have on the sound? Is the x12 mitred simply to allow groups of them greater dispersion? Or does it actually affec the acoustic characteristics of the enclosure?

EDIT: also, why does it require a selenium horn adapter for the P.audio horn (1.5" to 2") when p.audio do a horn at similar price with a 2" opening?

Does the exit of a compression driver affect its sound?

Edited by Jhodas - 22 June 2007 at 3:21pm
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 11:53am
1) - making it square will create parellel sides, adding standing waves (acoustical waves boucing around inside adding colouration to the sound). also if you build more it will allow you to array correctly and easily.

2) - every compression driver and horn combo will have different characteristics, rog must have picked these as they model well with the given mid config.

im going to be building some of these, using 2" comps on different flairs, as i have modeled it, gives me much more output, a phat sound and is flatter than the given ones. (they are old RCF LAB N980's, cant be bought any more, on a PAudio horn - cant remember the code).
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 1:41pm
OK thanks Ginger. Looks like I have to find a cutting service.
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
 Post Reply Post Reply