Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stanton Straight tonearm stylus sticks skips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 10:49am
I think with these designs, it's also the length of arm ie these are quite short where as proper hifi straight arms are longer and therefore give a better angle to record, if you see what I mean..... Can't really understand the design ethos of the Stanton arm really, other than it makes it less likely to catch the arm on your sleeve when scratching.

Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2017 at 3:43pm
Still having problems it seems to skip and get stuck on different records. Some play fully all the way through. The problems records start to get stuck and skip towards the end of the records. Some records would not play fully now they play all the way through but now others will not play fully.

Very strange

If stanton had made the tonearm a few cm longer maybe this problem would be avoided.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 12:37am
IIt's the drag on the needle that makes it skip forward, hence with other decks the anti scate pulls the arm back. Heavier bass or deeper grooves Will succumb to this issue. You cannot be be the only person having this problem. Wonder what DJ forums have to say.
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 11:10pm
Is horrible issue to have. I have mostly problems with 45`s sticking towards end of play.

There must be a solution . 

Seek and you will find.

Not ready to give up just yet need to try thinner stylus then 0.6mm and cartridge if somebody can recommend one.

Edited by JAH - 19 November 2017 at 11:14pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 12:40am
Strange it's sticking rather than jumping forward tbh, does point to arm bearings as DS has suggested. If it's because of bad aliagnment, it'll be REALLY chewing the grooves just before and at the point of sticking. Be careful of you tunes.
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 3:11am
Also one channel seems to drop out but when i touch the tip of the tonearm it seems to get louder on the channel which the signal has dropped out.

This turntable has a lot of issues. This turntable needs to be returned. 

A new product should not have this many problems.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 3:40pm
i agree it should be returned, but I think there might be a clue with the difference in channels, maybe the wire going from the arm through the pivot might be tigh/trapped...... Doesn't sound like it's actually worth investigating though.
Is this deck for a reggae/ bass heavy soundsystem? Heavy deck with no big voids inside will cut down integral feedback issues, I used a lenco goldring for years before succumbing to sl1210.
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 4:02pm
Yes heavy reggae bass what turntable would you recommend? What are big voids inside?

Edited by JAH - 20 November 2017 at 4:24pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 5:50pm
Tbh, a heavy plynth is a good starting point. By voids I mean gaps inside. This implys thinly made plynth (what the TT is built into). The 1210 to me is good as it has a solid metal frame, surrounded by non resonant rubber which means the whole deck has no one resonant frequency. A large object like a deck will resonate at a fairly low frequency most often at a similar frequency to one note in a bass line hence it beginning to 'ring' at that frequency (or note). The larger the mass, the lower that may be, and the more energy required to make it resonate.
  So the goal is to find a deck that is heavy and dosnt have a particular note when you tap it with your finger with the needle sitting on a stationary record. Plastic decks, in my experience are very prone to ringing.
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 9:02pm
I see what you mean by tapping the deck with the needle down.

Will have to try and analyse the sort of sound this Stanton junk makes. 

So could this be the cause of the channel dropping signal getting lower then totally disappearing then the signal comes back at a lower level in the dropped channel. Or signal comes back by applying pressure on the tonearm & stylus whilst playing.

Edited by JAH - 20 November 2017 at 9:05pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 11:28pm
What I'm suggesting is that the wire going through the bearing might be the cause of the arm sticking and might have been stretched as to make a partial connection when the arm is moved. A long shot admittedly though. Sounds as if the deck is fundamentally flawed though due to the short arm design, so yeah, I'd sack it and get another. Generally, decks from the 70's were well built and heavy. 80's brought the horrible silver plastic crap...
Good luck
JAH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2017 at 7:29pm
So shall we say from the late 80`s up till the present day this same horrible cheap silver plastic gets used on all lower spectrum ends of cheaper models of items being made. Also maybe some higher end models too or is this not correct only lower models?

The better model would avoid the cheap plastic tonearm and use metal tonearm and the turntable shell itself be made from metal not plastic as is the Stanton. Have had older turntables non ever had theses issues.

Never expected Stanton to make such a cheap plastic direct drive turntable with so many problems. Maybe the platter although seems to be metal has bits of plastic in it too just to save costs . The Stanton T62 cheap plastic junk turntable has now been sent back for full refund if player cant play records fully how does Stanton expect anybody to scratch with a angled stylus using the junk.

Edited by JAH - 22 November 2017 at 7:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12