Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stepped horn build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stepped horn build
    Posted: 09 January 2007 at 9:24pm
no mid-way progress reports with this one, rich and sid came round with wood at around 7 pm, we had us a box by 1 am. without doubt the fastest turnaround for any project in my house! it's got me wondering why stuff usually takes an eternity.

we'll bung the last surviving beyma 12lx60 in it tomorrow and let y'all know what it sounds like. it is to be integrated into rich and sid's living room pa; b&c de25 on 18sound xt horn, alpha 8mr on a jan audio horn for mid, rcf l12p530 reflex on upper bass and now something to do the bottom end some justice.

we reckon it should sound very nice, but i tell you one thing, it's bloody tall! i was somehow imagining it would be ~25 cm shorter, odd as 1.7m is 1.7m is 1.7m... but yeah, that is a lot...

james.
mardy hippy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 4:23am

Kitchen = speaker building area?

Be seeing you.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 4:37am
Now the other half wants some furniture for the lounge.  If I made one of those, or maybe two with some shelves inbetween, maybe I could sneak it into the house! 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 5:22am
Nice one, Ive been considering building something very similar for my new place. Please keep us updated :D
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 6:08am
Owain: pop up to mine with a Ciare and some MDF and we'll try to beat 6hrs build time! 

Also, I'm wondering why the stepped piece can't be done with one long angled piece?

Edited by ceharden - 10 January 2007 at 6:10am
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:28am
the kitchen is great for building speakers in as it has an easy sweep clean concrete floor... the other main room of construction is the living room, although it has oft been pointed out by my long suffering house mates that, owing to the fact that it has become a full time pa store, it's a bit of a misnomer as no-one can live in there because there's no room...

i would also have done the horn with a single angled panel myself, but it was rich and sid's project, i just helped out. oddly enough, about half way through, one of them did i think say 'hang on, why aren't we doing this with one big angled panel'...

i'm going to do some finishing work on it now, but hopefully it'll be making bass before the day is out.

james.
mardy hippy.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:45am
If you get it right, you could also cut a load of angled braces in one go too.

I've done a quick Hornresp sim, ignoring the driver in mouth bit.  The output looks a lot nicer without the direct radiating driver component but to add a sealed rear chamber would significantly increase the size of the cab (it would need to be about 60L or something silly).

I guess this design could be adapted to fit into many spaces.  Maybe fold in half again to become a coffee table sub!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 9:16am
cofee table is a definite possibility, the one that got me excited was trying to squeeze two of them into a box a bit like a wicked one, i've nearly finished laying that out on paper and reckon that would be pretty nails. there's just so much horn path in it though! as in, more than 3m! i know what you mean about the angled braces, maybe do two bits of material simulatneously and have two vanes of bracing running down the horn path.

i'm really starting to get quite excited about this cabinet now, can't wait to hear what it'll do. i had plans of building some for my 4 ohm ciare; then using them as stands for the fane dx12he/cd150 coaxials on top to make a small footprint hi-fi rig, it might require some stabilisers though as it would all come crashing down with a relatively hearty shove.

james.
mardy hippy.
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 5:38pm
just been trying out the stepped horn for the past couple of hours.  there not bad. plays stupidly low. its got a beyma lx60 in it rather than a ciare.
played system check and it seemed to have a bit of a peaky response but nails 35hz and down...

generally it sounds good. not sure on the delay front i guess its somewhere between  0 and 3 M 40cm , im sure a happy point will be found.
its at least allayed any fears i had about wicked ones not being right as i reckon if given the choice id go for a WO, especially for PA use, although james seems set on building 4, for Pa use, which would be interesting :)

if anyones wanting to make their home stereo 'proper' id build one of these simply because it only takes up a small ammount of floor space.

if you want a coffee table build a wicked one (with lx60's as they sound the most stereo) , alternatively build a stepped horn if you want a sideboard. its all aqbout the type of furniture you require and the WAF factor, ive seen a WO built to furniture grade used as a coffee table and it looked grand, alternatively build one of these :)

music is god
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 11:36am
looks nice.
Who designed it??
N
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2007 at 1:05pm
Hello,

Your Beyma 12LX60 should indeed work well. However, the Ciare 12.00SW has a 33mm long coil and 10mm airgap which gives it (33-10)/2=11.5mm coil overhang. The Beyma 12LX60 has a 23mm long coil and 8mm airgap which gives it (23-8)/2=7.5mm coil overhang.

Translated to maxi. SPL this means the Ciare has 10log( (11.5/7.5)^2)=3.7dB more maximum output. This effect will be most noticable between 35-60Hz if you drive the Stepped horn with 1500W.

As you mentioned this Stepped horn is a very easy build. No strange angles to cut. I designed it this way so everyone could make a good subbass cabinet with little effort and small money. The small footprint (about 15" x 15") makes it possible to find a place for it even in smaller rooms.

At the moment we are working on a Stepped horn design for PA using 2x15" which should have around 10dB more output than the 12" Stepped horn you build, playing the same frequency range. The cabinet still is 1.3x as small as a LAB-horn. If the prototype turns out well, you will hear more of it. The drivers will be state of the art using 15" from BMS (expensive but about the best you can get).

Best regards,

Walt

Edited by Contour - 11 January 2007 at 1:18pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2007 at 8:14am
1500 watts... it's in his living room walt! currently being powered off a james (i had to buy that, it had my name all over it) 100 wpc passively cooled old school special. if you even think of turning it up, even on that tiddly amp, stuff falls off the walls.

personally i am very impressed by the cabinet and after spending quite a while listening to a range of program material with rich the other night, think it makes the perfect home stereo/cinema sub. the tiny footprint is a godsend, but the 30 Hz performance is the winning factor.

i'm back on speaker building form i've decided and will be knocking up a new -stepped horn inspired- design for my 4 ohm ciares this weekend, it may well be uber nails. i shall report back.

here's a pic of rich's living room pa: you'll have to tilt your head i'm afraid, i have rotated the image and it opens normally on my computer, but the original file is seemingly determined to remain askew.

james.

mardy hippy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>