Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo/mono signal path

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo/mono signal path
    Posted: 16 July 2021 at 8:32pm
Hope this isn’t too stupid a question, but….

Can you put a stereo signal into a single input on something like an eq, (Rane PE15 for example) using a y cable, or do you have to have two eqs, one for each channel?

At the moment I’m running my stereo pair through a Cloud CCX limiter then into an Ultradrive. Been doing some EQ in there during setup, but wanted to put a parametric eq on the signal before the UD so I can tweak on the fly, more than what my mixer will allow.

Thanks.
scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 8:41pm
BTW…

I have a small 4-way stack that has mono subs and kicks, and stereo mids and highs.

Basically, I’m wondering if there’s a way to eq a stereo signal with one eq, rather than having buy two eqs and adjust each signal separately, when the speakers are together in one stack.

Alternatively, is it better to sum the pair and run the whole thing mono?

I’m happy with my sound, but just curious about the best option adding some flexibility with the eq, without having to peer into the UD’s tiny screen after a pint or two in the dark.
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 8:48pm
Pm me if you want more rane parametrics.. i have x2 i want to get rid of.. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 1:29am
Originally posted by scott_fury scott_fury wrote:

Can you put a stereo signal into a single input on something like an eq, (Rane PE15 for example) using a y cable, or do you have to have two eqs, one for each channel?
You can do that but then the signal then becomes summed mono and the stereo source cannot be reconstructed.

Originally posted by scott_fury scott_fury wrote:

At the moment I’m running my stereo pair through a Cloud CCX limiter then into an Ultradrive. Been doing some EQ in there during setup, but wanted to put a parametric eq on the signal before the UD so I can tweak on the fly, more than what my mixer will allow.

The UD has parametric EQ and Limiting built in. Are you doing speaker correction with the Rane or is this on-the fly EQ part of your performance?

Edited by Conanski - 17 July 2021 at 1:30am
scott_fury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott_fury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 8:00am
Thanks for the reply Conanski.

Not really speaker correction. I do all my setting up, eq/limiting, etc in the UD. I only use the CCX as a brick wall limiter when I’m hiring out the rig to protect the speakers from over zealous DJ’s. 

For the same reason I’ve been contemplating adding a simple 5 band parametric eq I could access and adjust quickly without having to start tapping buttons on the UD. 

I’ve got a four day gig running the sound for a festival bar and was considering adding an eq but will probably save my money and keep using the EQ on the UD and mixing desk.

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 8:22am
you can certainly put a stereo signal into a mono input but not with a Y-cable as you'll be effectively trying to drive the left output with the right and vice versa. At best it will sound awful and at worst can damage the source.
You need to make up a little passive combiner, Rane show this in their online knowledge database, I think the paper is called 'Why Not Wye'
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply