Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo to Mono? Help Preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duppy conqueror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo to Mono? Help Preamp
    Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:01pm
Hi 

Im using a 4 way preamp. Now I want to connect the 2 last mono outputs from 200hz-3K5 3K5->

I have a top box that has a tweeter in it already

Is there a simpel cheap way to connect the 2 outputs to one mono output?

cable? box?  I donĀ“t feel like soldering and stuff

Thank your for your help

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:42pm
So the two mono outputs are for two different frequency bands?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:55pm
Which pre amp is it?

You should just be able to use a mono jack - mono jack cable between the two outputs, now providing there is a spare output (my jts has 2 outputs per band for example), you can then go out of that output to your amp, then your box

Hope that makes sense
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:59pm
Try a link cable between the mid and high output, then use one of the remaining mid/hi outs as the mixed out, (assuming you got 2 outputs per band) most preamp builders claim this works.. although a proper electronic mixer (very very simple ie 8-10 components) would be far better..  mixing by summing reduces the level of each input, so the mixed out would be quieter than the signals being combined.. 

Get someone with electronic skills to knock up a 2into1 mixer (would be about the size of a postage stamp) fix it inside the pre and drill an additional hole for a dedicated mixed mid/top output..

that is my advice..

Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 12:59pm
sorry Sinai, just seen i repeated your post!!

Reverence Sound system

duppy conqueror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duppy conqueror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:04pm
thanks for all the answer but Im afraid the link think does'nt work on this Nano Preamp

Is there another way?

I know that you could open it up and change it there but I dont have the skill for that. whant to just link them outside the box..
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:23pm
Ok then, make a cable,  two mono jack plugs going into 1 mono jack socket, the earth side all connect together, and use a 100ohm resistor on the end of each before they connect (these can go inside the jack socket)

Edited by dj jammin - 08 June 2017 at 1:32pm
Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:32pm
Very simple stuff..

Reverence Sound system

duppy conqueror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duppy conqueror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 6:07pm
thanks

Seems doable when I look at the picture. But have never done anything like that. need to buy resistors and what king of cable do I need. Just simple thin copper threads?

last resort
I had a thought of just disconnecting the passive crossover in the speakerbox and just make a extra input.

there is no cable/box that is ready made that I could buy?

thanks so so so much. Im alone in this

Edited by duppy conqueror - 08 June 2017 at 6:17pm
Prizefighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by duppy conqueror duppy conqueror wrote:

there is no cable/box that is ready made that I could buy?

I use this Whirlwind podDI box to convert the stereo signal from my DJ mixer to a single mono signal (since I run my stack in mono): http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/direct-boxes/poddi

I think it would work great for what you need. Just run the two outputs from the Nano Pre using cables that terminate in RCA plugs into the podDI, and you'll have a balanced XLR mono output combining the two frequency bands.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Prizefighter - 08 June 2017 at 7:34pm
Be a Prizefighter instead of a Dancecrasher!
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 8:36pm
You could buy a cheap mono jack cable, a mono jack socket and the 2 resistors, cut the cable in half, and connect up as shown but keep all neat and house the resistors inside the housing of the socket.
Removing the passive cross over would also be a great idea, but would actually be a lot more work than the cable, you would need speakon connectors, lead wire, and an extra amp channel too, also the drivers may / may not work well with the crossover point set by the pre..
Either way you will need the tools and soldering iron etc etc

A mini mixer something like this would mean you don't need to do any soldering...
Reverence Sound system

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 9:26pm
Be careful if you disconnect the passive xover in the speaker box as this is also protects the driver under certain circumstances (tops) like switch-on thumps, and cabling mistakes ( mid into tops etc).
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>