Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange rattling noise from woofer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange rattling noise from woofer
    Posted: 29 July 2021 at 10:13am
Hi
Anyone knows what this noise could be? 
B&c 18 sw115-4 ohm , has been spanked hard  in a th118 for 5 years, so we can say it did it's job, but still I would like to know what's up, second driver developing this issue in a th118.
No voicecoil rubbing, everything moves right without frictions, there is just this high pitched metallic rattling that rises with level .
They are going in for a recone next week, but still don't knowing what is happening drives me mad.
If someone can enlighten me I would be grateful!

Video of driver making such noise

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 10:22am
Ps it's not the grille...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 10:41am
have you checked for tiny tears in the surround/suspension? Dust cap glued all around?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 11:41am
Thanks for the hints, I will check this evening!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 11:53am
Have you tried "tapping" around the cone?

There might not be any rubbing, but a loose winding on the coil that might be heard if you hit the cone at different points around the thing close to the center/coil.

Edited by Earplug - 30 July 2021 at 5:43am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 1:46pm
Have a close look at the spider suspension to see if has detached from the voice coil stem underneath the cone , pushing the cone full forward  usually reveals this .if it has this can be fixed.a stitch in time saves a recone
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 1:55pm
Check if the spider is still properly glued to the chassis.

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Have you tried "tapping" around the cone?

There might not be any rubbing, but a lose winding on the coil that might be heard if you hit the cone at different points around the thing close to the center/coil.

I'd say this is a good shout. I had one of the bass drivers on my home system develop a problem exactly like this some years back.
No rubbing when pushing the cone and it played fine at a low volume. However when turning the system up and play anything with really deep rumbling bass there was a slight high frequency rattle from the drive unit.
I could only come to the conclusion the winding on the former had come loose.
It was replaced under warranty as it was a manufacturing fault.
Cheers, Chris.
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 12:27pm
This is exciting,when are you drawing the result? I bet 90dB  on the spider and 50 on the surround

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 30 July 2021 at 2:08pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 12:53pm

I'd put money on the bottom few turns of the coil have broken loose (come off the coil former), seen it a few times on customers kit when the coil assembly has clouted the motor backplate... normally due to lack of or incorrectly set HPF. 

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 3:58pm
@APW
The 18SW series should not get damaged that way. Excursion is eventually limited by the suspension and can't reach Xdamage.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:21am
In my case it was clearly a manufacturing fault and not caused by over excursion. Rather annoyingly the other bass driver in the other speaker developed the same fault a couple of years later.
By that time it was out of warranty and I had to fork out £100 for a new 8" bass driver to be shipped over from America.
Both replacement drivers have been playing fine for 10 years plus now so it was probably a problem with the adhesive being used at the time of original manufacture on that batch. I still have the second faulty unit here somewhere.
It could be one of a number of things that's caused Jo bg's problem but I think a loose winding from the coil is quite possible.
Cheers, Chris.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>