Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuff from the early days!!! - Roger Squires.
    Posted: 22 June 2009 at 8:59pm
I was bored so have been looking on the net and found this stuff! oh the memories?

August stereo console

August mono console

Citronic mono popular (proper workhorse of many pubs)

Citronic Hawaii proberbly the best mobile console of the 80's

Cloud windsor

Cloud 10 used by some of the "better" mobiles

Capital disco club console I worked on one of these in a "club" in Croydon in the late 80's

Fal stereo grapic console possably the first mobile console with built in grapic (sounded sh*te)

Rodger squires mixers I had all three of these over a number of years the allen & heath was without doubt the best and well ahead of it's time, followed by the citronic sm607

Speakers from fal (futuristic aids ltd) the picture says it all really but we did go to work with this sort of stuff in them days!

please feel free to add your horror stories lol
Col.

Edited by colint - 22 June 2009 at 9:02pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 7:35pm
Nice pics - from the days when everything was in black and white LOL

Loving the VU meters on the Citronic SM 607. 
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 9:44pm
Fal stereo grapic console possably the first mobile console with built in grapic (sounded sh*te)

Sounded sh*te? I beg to differ. I had one of those and they sounded worse than that!!!

Some cracking memories from those pics tho'. The only downer is I've now realised exactly how old I am!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by The Garglebard The Garglebard wrote:

Nice pics - from the days when everything was in black and white LOL

Loving the VU meters on the Citronic SM 607. 
The 607 was a real gem and to be really truthfull i only bought it for the meters lol the sound quality came later and it was a great bit of kit at the time, I later modified it with a citronic sm450 (another great mixer) crossfade! 

edit spelling sorry!

Edited by colint - 24 June 2009 at 6:13pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Sounded sh*te? I beg to differ. I had one of those and they sounded worse than that!!!

Some cracking memories from those pics tho'. The only downer is I've now realised exactly how old I am!

Ditto! real sad thing is I can go further back than that too, although I don't have the pictures

How about ICE electrics amp's mixers & consuls or tk discosound
and not for getting from the 80's the amasing glitter system from disco supplies at chadwell heath, essex
it's quite frightning that Dj's went out and earned a living with this stuff with these 100watt amps?
also ayone remember the Citronic system 80 ( large metal framed deck with componant equipment)
and the citronic CS rack
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 1:26pm
Discotastic Colin!

Epping forest country club had one of those Allen and heath production mixers with a pair of QRK turntables in the late 70`s..it lasted up till about 1981 when it was replaced with a Supernova and 2x sl1200...the Allen and heath was sonically very good,but the lettering/etching on the front panel would flake off really easily...it was almost bare when they changed it for the Matamp.

From my colection of disco antiques downstairs....
I have a couple of these Citronic consoles..its the "powered" Avon..essentially a Hawaii but with built in 2x150w amplifiers..this is a later mk4 with the improved turntables and pitch controls.

Another DJ console Roger squires used to stock was "Soundout",a futuristic looking thing with red fins at each end.
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:54pm
The Soundout disco consoles with the red finned heatsinks were crap Ian both in sound qualityand reliability-----We used to sell them in our shops and I think that every one of them came back faulty.
Soundout also brought out a range of guitar and bass amps around that time--again with the red finned heatsinks under the name "Frunt"---These used to go bang on a regular basis as well.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

The Soundout disco consoles with the red finned heatsinks were crap Ian both in sound qualityand reliability-----We used to sell them in our shops and I think that every one of them came back faulty.
Soundout also brought out a range of guitar and bass amps around that time--again with the red finned heatsinks under the name "Frunt"---These used to go bang on a regular basis as well.

Agree with you on the soundout deck Robbo we had untold trouble with them too had problems with the soundout clubmaster mixer to remember that one it was blue with led meters in an arc at the top looked great in between apair of 1200's though

I wonder how many of the early citronic hawaii/avon type console's are still about I know of 1 Dj that still uses the one I sold him about 20 years ago
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 4:16pm
Oh groovy,here we go.....sit back and enjoy..Roger Squires disco catalogue circa about 1977.

Sorry about the long post,but i think you will agree,its worth it!

Edited by jbl_man - 24 June 2009 at 4:30pm
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:56pm
Ouch! think I had nearly all that stuff? And I still have a mutiphase 410 light controller and it still works! I'd forgotten about the iowa and kansas in their purple cardboard boxes
first proper deck (about 1970) I had was a mono citronic with the white mixer bit like the kansas
sort of opened a can of worms there aint I?
cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:07pm
that was really interesting! someone should make a big coffee-table book (with loads of photos) about the history of DJing. I don't think its been done yet!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Corticyte Corticyte wrote:

that was really interesting! someone should make a big coffee-table book (with loads of photos) about the history of DJing. I don't think its been done yet!

I hope you have a very strong coffee table cos it would be a very thick book!
this stuff doesn't even scratch the surface!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>