Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs as kick bins...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:49am
I will be using them as kick, 90hz-150hz crossing above Wsx's. Would that be ok soundwise? Thank you.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:33am
They will be fine for what you are aiming for. When you say 90 - 150 Hz you are not going to try to feed the loudspeaker only those frequencies are you?

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 3:48am
Certainly those frequencies only, it would be the kick of a 4way rig.

I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:07am
So you are going to be -3 dB @ 90 Hz and -3 dB @ 150 Hz? What exactly do you think you are going to play with such a narrow bandwidth? You are not even playing a full octave.

Kick offers more midrange than mid bass. I don't see how such a narrow bandwidth is going to cover kick properly.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:25am
If I used Kick bins, this how I would tune them. Big smile

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:56am
What software did you use in this video?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

What software did you use in this video?

That is the on-board Equaliser in Samplitude.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:51pm
That you very much Elliot, thats very informative. What would be the best frequency to tune them and what xover points would be best? Im using Bills Omnitop 12 as tops. Thank you.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 5:14pm

I would suggest playing a few tracks that offer kick and roll-off the upper frequencies until you achieve the sound you are aiming for. Your tops will need to play as well while you are gradually rolling off the higher frequencies from your JBL playing kicks. You are listening for the least amount of conflicts between your top cabinets and kick bins.

Having a starting point of 90 Hz is fine. However, to achieve no reduction at 90 Hz from the Crossover Network, you need to have your roll-off point set lower than 90 Hz.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 20 May 2015 at 5:15pm
Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 5:52pm
Thank you very much for clearing Elliot.  That sums it all up. Ill do your recommendation.
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:07pm
Elliot, are you suggesting running kick bins up to 5kHz?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:20pm

Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Elliot, are you suggesting running kick bins up to 5kHz?

I am letting ychole audio know how high of a frequency kick lies. There is a misconception that kick is only within the 90 Hz to 180 Hz range. Many do not realise the attack is much higher. Without a good attack, you are not going to attain a solid kick.

By exploring frequencies above 180 Hz, he may find the system offers a more aggressive, solid, attack.

Since ychole audio is using a reflex cabinet, he can take advantage of crossing higher for he will not experience the honk sound typical of a folded horn crossed too high. This is why I suggested he should play some tracks with kicks and tune to taste.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>