Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subs To Go under Scoops - Any Suggestions ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:52am
I've heard ASS scoop copies loaded with PD1850 [my m8s ones] and they go down to rumbling bass which is around 30hz.

Also the ASS website doesn't lie. Would like to see you argue that with the guys at ASS. As you would be told to piss off.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:29am
the fact that they recommend the high-pass should be set at 30Hz to 35Hz does not mean that that is where the -3db point is. I find it VERY hard to believe that they play that low with any kind of volume without a huge number of them. People would not build labhorns and cut them off at 35Hz if scoops went lower. Without a decent RTA analysis I'm afraid all you have to go in your perception of what 30Hz bass sounds like.
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:44am
"reallyspecialjustin! i didnt realise you were so sensitive miss"

I didnt realise you are such a........

Really though misinformantion or not, manners cost nothing, why you tryin to stir it up?
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

the fact that they recommend the high-pass should be set at 30Hz to 35Hz does not mean that that is where the -3db point is. I find it VERY hard to believe that they play that low with any kind of volume without a huge number of them. People would not build labhorns and cut them off at 35Hz if scoops went lower. Without a decent RTA analysis I'm afraid all you have to go in your perception of what 30Hz bass sounds like.

Scoops unlike horns don't need to be used in a large number.

Just 4 of Iration Steppas scoop bins in a stack gave really thunderous bass at the Rec.

Just 2 of my m8s ASS copy scoops loaded with PD1850 rumbled and gave enough bass to shake his garage he was testing them in. The side panels and corragated metal garage door of the garage were rattling like some hurricane was in there.
And that wasn't even at full, about half way up in volume.
Rumbling bass is around 30-35hz and it was loud.
If he played it full in there, everything would have fallen over and broken and his neighbours would have probably killed him.

Thats why I keep telling him to use those ASS scoops he got at a dance. I'd love to see what destruction they can do at full power.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:01am
mykey, & biotec is correct.

Scoops cannot deliver 30 hertz efficiently in-groups of 8 much less with 2 boxes.

The Laws of Physics won’t allow it. Scoops no matter who designs it won't deliver 35 - 30 Hz with a significant amount of output.

If you want to prove us wrong, post the SPL vs Frequency charts of the A.S.S. Scoops.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:10am
the ASS website claims the scoops play upto 800hz but i very much doubt they sound any good at that end of the spectrum either.
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

the ASS website claims the scoops play upto 800hz but i very much doubt they sound any good at that end of the spectrum either.

Agreed. We all know specs can be very misrepresentative. Sure you'll get 800Hz out of them, but its goiung to sound BAD. Anyone can say a speaker plays to 30Hz, but at what output compared to the rest of the band?

The fact Toxic perceived the bass to be low and rumbly is pretty meaningless. Apart from my lack of faith in his ability to guage frquency accurately with nothing but his ears and his mates garage walls as measuring instruments, I also know that all scoops start to sound "rumbly" when you start boosting frequencies below their real capabilities. Lots of people find the sound of over excursion and unloading of the cone very impressive. The distortion convinces them that  the low frequency is loud, the whole B-line becomes muddy and undefined. If thats what you like, great, but you'll probably be reconing quite regularly...
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

Agreed. We all know specs can be very misrepresentative. Sure you'll get 800Hz out of them, but its goiung to sound BAD. Anyone can say a speaker plays to 30Hz, but at what output compared to the rest of the band?

The fact Toxic perceived the bass to be low and rumbly is pretty meaningless. Apart from my lack of faith in his ability to guage frquency accurately with nothing but his ears and his mates garage walls as measuring instruments, I also know that all scoops start to sound "rumbly" when you start boosting frequencies below their real capabilities. Lots of people find the sound of over excursion and unloading of the cone very impressive. The distortion convinces them that  the low frequency is loud, the whole B-line becomes muddy and undefined. If thats what you like, great, but you'll probably be reconing quite regularly...

That sounds to be more accurate as without a frequency graph I can't be 100% certain. Except why do they say on the ASS website that they go to 35hz then? Maybe thats a -10db reading I guess.

But my m8s 2 PD1850 loaded ASS scoop copies certainlly sounded as low as 35hz ish.
As I could hear the different tones of the bass on a certain track with bass guitar on it and seemed very deep to me.
As the bass on its deepest point in the track turned into rumble and vibrations and not so much you could hear, more feel.
Maybe more like 40hz then?

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Tom Umney Tom Umney wrote:

I've heard ASS scoop copies loaded with PD1850 [my m8s ones] and they go down to rumbling bass which is around 30hz.

Also the ASS website doesn't lie. Would like to see you argue that with the guys at ASS. As you would be told to piss off.

Fact of the matter is I have heard from enough people (including two guy's who own PA  Hire companies) that ASS scoops (RX18's) with 1850's are the best scoops out there.

Until I get my four, I am willing to accept the word of my PA snob, who has access/exposure to top stuff out there, and knows what real sub sounds like.

He has told me, 4 1850 ASS scoops in a stack will drop to at least 40hz with more output than any other single driver "current" horn cab of comparable dimensions and input power. Including 4 WSX's.

So very shortly, I'll be putting my money where my mouth is, and purchasing 4 RX18 Clones..

Anyone got 4x 1850 drivers, to help finish this debate once and for all?

Edited by levyte357 - 29 December 2006 at 11:51pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:51pm
The only thing that could maybe beat 4 ASS scoops loaded with PD1850 is 4 Lab Horns. Except I've never heard Lab Horns, but I've been told they go very low and loud.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Tom Umney Tom Umney wrote:

The only thing that could maybe beat 4 ASS scoops loaded with PD1850 is 4 Lab Horns. Except I've never heard Lab Horns, but I've been told they go very low and loud.

There was a sub clash on Prosoundweb (lab sub home site) between 8 labs  (don't forget 16 drivers) and 10 18" Superscoopers.

The scoops  were found to be louder, but the labs were deeper.

However  the labs blew most of their  drivers trying to keep up with the scoops.

Can't remember web page, link, author,date. But I did read it and will find link after some searching.

Edited by levyte357 - 30 December 2006 at 12:14am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2006 at 7:55am
i've had everyones scoops in my workshop a few years back on a signal generater , apart from the super of course

most of them couldnt get to 40 let alone 30/35

i dont think you know what a true 30/35 for that fact even a true 40hz sounds like toxic   "it's scarey"  trust me

you all keep going on about ASS scoops and how good they are if thats a fact why are people selling them

looking at Rog's superscooper drawing tell's me this would be a far better option

every time i have heard ASS scoops they sounded cold even Larry Mr Dub scoops sounded warmer

the thing that piss's me off is when people like toxic read stuff take it for granted then put it up here for all the newbies to be miss informed

toxic....from 40 to 35 is a long long way when it comes to horns trust me
for the ASS to get to 35 or whatever it is you READ it would have to be as big as Jack in the beanstalk's WARDROBE. think you should listen to me and Biotec in future

edit.. sorry toxic mist this one.....you have just said 30hz, you heard it rumbling at 30hz? you got to stop doing this

you wouldnt hear 30 anyway  you would feel it, and if it was doing it decently you would have come on here ranting and raving about it

i have only experianced it once and i have been in the game for longer than you have existed and i can tell you i almost sh*t myself

tell your m8 to go hire or buy a signal generater and do a sweep around 30 and them scoops will still be asleep, come on i challenge you and your m8 i'll put everything i own on it

Edited by mykey - 30 December 2006 at 8:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>