Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subwoofer Eminence Lab 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Gabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subwoofer Eminence Lab 12
    Posted: 14 December 2022 at 5:21am
Hi all !
Thank you so much for accepting my request !

I'm opening this thread hoping to find an answer.

I recently designed a 2x12 bass reflex plan tuned to 35hz for the Eminence lab 12, the dimensions are 91 cm high, 38 cm wide, 59 cm deep.
The enclosure was built for PRO applications with good extension and better loading on the speakers in the impedance peak given by the enclosure, therefore the port is flared at the ends and narrowed in the middle, the port is 44cm long and is 12.6 cm on the ends and 7.2 cm on the middle. For now, I have built 2 test pieces from water-repellent mast, one as in the plan, the other I have extended its 3 cm lip by another 25 cm, making it a waveguide. The loudspeakers are connected in parallel.

I am amazed by the reproduced sound, it has a unique strong and very deep sub-bass (TOM DANLEY BUILT THE SPEAKER I DREAMED OF) which in response can be equal to an 18 inch or even more than that plan, that's what my friend told me who took care of the calculations and design, my first bass reflex project with a single lab 12 speaker also at 35 hz tuning made two MAG AUDIO subwoofers on 15 inches of 400 w rms each, I had spl more on the side of sub-bass, stronger and deeper bass.

My question is if 4 subwoofers can successfully handle 300 people outdoors,

As I tested the 2 outdoors on the crown xls 1502 amp with only 516w rms per channel into 3 ohms, the crown has 2x775 rms in 2 ohms, and the strong and deep bass extends easily up to 100-120 m, giving the signal from the mixer to flash constantly at -20dB on the crown, I only went to -10dB constantly only once by applying 27- 35 hz, and at 35 hz at a distance of 30 m from the subwoofers, I said that my grammes are leaving the house. The Spl was measured outdoors on the normal piece without amplified waveguide on the crown xls 1502, the measurements were made with an rta SPL LAB PRO microphone.

The SPL was measured at 1 m on-axis with the port in the 35-60 hz band. At 35 hz tuning with only 516 w rms I output 130.7 dB at -20 dB constantly on the amplifier, at -10 I didn't go to 35 hz, only to 40 hz, and at 40 hz at -20 dB I had 127 dB , once I gave it a light flicker at -10dB I got 129.7dB at 40hz.

I recently got a LD SYSTEMS DEEP2 2400 X amplifier and the sound is even stronger because it gives me about 2x800 rms into 3 ohms

An answer would help me a lot.🤗🔊🔊🔊🔊

Edited by Florin Gabriel - 14 December 2022 at 7:09am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 8:59am
Why not build a 2x18 reflex cab !?

Can assure you, 2x18 reflex cab designed for B&C 18TBX100 or better, will acheive more, quite easily.

Don't assume amplifier specs are 100% true, approx only the top 1% of amplifiers made, measure anywhere near their spec, on sub frequencies.

EDIT:Also be careful in the use of the term "PRO" in forums, getting paid to do something, is different from being a trained and experienced, audio professional.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 December 2022 at 9:12am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Florin Gabriel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Gabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 9:34am
I don't want 2 x18 as I got good performance with that plan for lab 12. I want to stick with the lab 12 because it has a strong and deep sound in the 30-60hz band, that's what it was designed for. I want to start with 4 subwoofers and in the future MAXIMUM 8 subwoofers. I don't want on 18 inch because by nature they are slow moving. If someone owns 4 pieces of something like bass reflex with the same tuning of 35 hz, how many people have you dealt with inside and outside and what amplifier do you use for them?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 10:08am
Florin, one high power 18 inch sub will probably be louder then two double 12s loaded with Lab12.
It is a nice driver with good sound but it is not loud. Two double Lab12 can do 100-150 people inside a small pub. Not more.
Trust me i know this. 

Edited by MarjanM - 14 December 2022 at 10:10am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 12:07pm
The Lab 12 is very inefficient (@ 89.2dB/watt) for a PA driver ….

Try putting something like 2x Beyma 12LX60V2 in that box and tune it to about 39/40Hz, it should give you an f3 of about 35Hz and be twice as loud as the Lab 12’s for the same input power…  plus you will have nearly twice the power handling.

Edited by APW - 14 December 2022 at 12:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Gabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 12:57pm
The graph on the spl of the enclosure is 112 dB at 2 w/m in a quarter of the space, I did not do the calculations, I have enough spl for them, I am satisfied with the answer with their extension🔊🔊🔊🔊

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Gabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 1:08pm
I will attach pictures of the plan as soon as possible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florin Gabriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 1:59pm
I have nothing to do with beyma Fs too high, I wanted something with low Fs, and as a frequency response of the standard 25-150 hz speaker from the factory, the LAB 12 fit perfectly, my friend who took care of the design and calculations succeeded to make me something efficient enough for my requirements DO NOT JUST SET SPEAKER SPL TO 1W/M, THAT ONLY IS IRRELEVANT, PUT PER ASSEMBLY SPEAKER +ENCLOSURE = MAXIMUM SPL ACHIEVED.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2022 at 2:50pm
The lowest usable frequency of the Eminence LAB 12's voice coil is 25 Hz. You are not going to find a 12-inch Public Address woofer offering such a low frequency extension other, than the Eminence LAB 12. You may want to explore manufactures that aim towards Home Theater Market. Acoustic Elegance comes to mind...

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply