Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for a techno rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for a techno rig
    Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:18pm
Hi, I'm going to start this off by saying I'm new to this. 
I'm looking build a heavy hitting techno rig, I'm thinking using 1850s as subs and something along the lines of Cubo 15 as kick bins. 
In reality I want the low subs producing some physical feeling basslines, with the kick bin hitting you in the chest like a battering ram. With regards to tops, I haven't looked into it too much but I've heard the X-Tros keep up with quite a lot. 
As I was saying, I'm new to this, so I have no attachment to these cabinets and I am completely open to other options, any help at all is appreciated!
Thanks.

Edited by rwnmc - 27 June 2017 at 3:00pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:09pm
I would link over to this as well in the newbie forum http://forum.speakerplans.com/techno_topic98783.html Wink
rwnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:26pm
Haha saw that one just after I posted, keeping an eye on it! Random question, but do you know anything about standalone compression horns like this? http://forum.speakerplans.com/my-latest-project-with-a-few-build-pics_topic98735.html
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 10:10pm
Me.... im still going ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused 99% of the time, very much a newbie myself, sorry :-( 
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by rwnmc rwnmc wrote:

Haha saw that one just after I posted, keeping an eye on it! Random question, but do you know anything about standalone compression horns like this? http://forum.speakerplans.com/my-latest-project-with-a-few-build-pics_topic98735.html

They use co-axial compression drivers like the BMS 4594. This means the driver can go low like a 2" comp but also have a good responce up high like a 1" comp. Basically being two drivers in one, and the prices reflect this Confused.

Great if you have the money to do so, but if you want you can still get good intelligibility with seperate 2" and 1", at a more reasonable price.
rwnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 5:42pm
Hmm interesting.. Can it actually do a better job than two drivers? I feel like it would have to to justify the price
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:17pm
Yes
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:29pm
It will completely avoid comb filterung in the area where the 2" and 1" overlap.
Also it will save you space and money since you will only need 1 horn instead of two .
The driver may look expensive, but two drivers and two horns might not really be any cheaper.
The 1.4" (4594 etc.) versions are much more expensive than the 2" version (neodimyum 4592" or ferrite 4590).
Best regards,
Teun.
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:08pm
Look at the drawing of coaxial drivers. There's no normal diaphragm for mf, only a narrow ring instead of it. And this ring becomes narrower when it moves.
I know coaxials are trendy, but comparison of standard 4" diaphragm driver and coaxial makes sense.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:17pm
They simply sound great!
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

Look at the drawing of coaxial drivers. There's no normal diaphragm for mf, only a narrow ring instead of it. And this ring becomes narrower when it moves.
I know coaxials are trendy, but comparison of standard 4" diaphragm driver and coaxial makes sense.

You do realize that the outer diameter of the bms diaphraghms are bigger than 4" right? Area scales with radius squared so although the surface area is still smaller than a full 4" dome, its not as bad as it looks.
The BMS drivers make several problems disappear like snow in fromt of the sun that with conventional combo of 2" and 1" comps you simply wont get. Sure there are compromises on the coaxes, but they are trendy for a reason and its not just about bragging rights. One of them and probably the most important one is thatthey cancover a substantial portion of the audio band while requiring minimum efforr to get sounding good.

The biggest challenge there is with these drivers is finding a horn which actually can deluver that entire frequency band without too much compromises.
Best regards,
Teun.
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 7:23pm
You do realize how it moves between two suspensions?
 Post Reply Post Reply