Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

suggestions for samplers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suggestions for samplers
    Posted: 20 March 2018 at 11:06pm
Hi all,

I would like  to sample sounds from different sources ( vinyl records, live sounds etc..) to then launch them on live soundsystem sessions as sounds effects without having to carry around my laptop.

I've been looking around for a portable sampler machine such as the AKAI MPC serie, in particular the MPC500.
It's portable , battery operated if needed and seems to be quite flexible tool for sampling and more...

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on alternatives or is familiar with it and recommend it etc

any idea would be appreciated

thanks !

sr
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:18am
If its just to play the samples back straight then MPC 500 will do. The menu is a bit confusing but its built like a tank and is reliable. The sequencer is basic and not so intuitive. The pads are a bit long in the tooth now and you normally have to set them to "full level", if not you might not get a trigger. If you must have Akai, then the MPX 16 is far better than the MPC 500. The pads are good and its easy to use.

If you want to mess around with the samples in real-time, like filter, ADSR, LFO modulation, sample start and FX then the Korg Electribe Sampler 2 is what you need. It can also run of battery's has a wonderful sequencer for writing when your not using it on stage and the pads are great. For live triggering its fine, but for complex tracks using its sequencer it runs out of polyphony quite quick. There are work arounds but it gets frustrating if its your only source of writing music.

King of the live performance samplers is the Roland SP 404SX. Very easy to use and setup, has enough memory to sample a whole hour set if you ever needed too and has very easy to access FX and filters. The pads are great and you get loads and loads of banks.

If you only want something very simple and can handle crappy pads then MPC 500 will do. If you want something for serious track writing or sample synthesis then the Korg Electribe Sampler 2 is good. For taking live sampling to the next level with awesome FX's and some truly unique features then its the Roland SP 404SX. Just get one. Everything else for live sampling is a compromise. Unless you have the cash for an MPC Live....

Edited by Aman Gebru - 21 March 2018 at 1:23am
Chris LDN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris LDN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:38am
Not battery operated, but I remember the Korg Kaoss Pad KP3 could trigger samples last time I looked at one, built in effects unit too, so might be worth looking at.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:45am
For triggering the occasional sound fx samples between tracks we got an Akai MPX8.
Cheap and does this exact job very well, and do not take a lot of space
Don't ask it for more (effects and all) though, and it feels cheap indeed.
Also sensitivity is not very precise but just for triggering samples it won't be an issue (for composing or playing it like an instrument, forget it) just hammer the damn thing aha
I wouldn't comment on reliability if used as an instrument, I'd say we hit a few dozen times max in a session (complementary of dubsirens and synare ) for now it's like new

Edit: not battery operated though, but i prefer to have more cable behind the rack instead of going to buy batteries every sessions 'cause I can't remember if still have spares!

Edited by JBK - 21 March 2018 at 8:50am
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by JBK JBK wrote:

For triggering the occasional sound fx samples between tracks we got an Akai MPX8.
Cheap and does this exact job very well, and do not take a lot of space
Don't ask it for more (effects and all) though, and it feels cheap indeed.
Also sensitivity is not very precise but just for triggering samples it won't be an issue (for composing or playing it like an instrument, forget it) just hammer the damn thing aha
I wouldn't comment on reliability if used as an instrument, I'd say we hit a few dozen times max in a session (complementary of dubsirens and synare ) for now it's like new

Edit: not battery operated though, but i prefer to have more cable behind the rack instead of going to buy batteries every sessions 'cause I can't remember if still have spares!

I have an mpx8 and as it runs off an USB plug you can run it from a battery power bank for charging a phone or even a cdj USB port if you have to.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:53pm
thaks all for the comments and useful info,very appreciated. I will dig more into the models you mentioned. 
I am not necessary after Akai as a brand but I know it's one of the most popular with a few other so I 've been looking at the MPC500 mostly for price and user reviews.
I have read I think in the Akai forum some contrasting opinion on the MPX16 and a lot of people preferring the older models such as the MPC500. 
I guess it also comes to a matter of preferences and what people needs to do with it.
@JBK interesting to know your experience with the MPX8, sounds like you guys are doing similar music that we do and the samples launch is mostly what I am looking at. Composition may come as a good plus but something I'm not after right now.

sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:59pm
anyone knows by any chance if the Akai MPX16 is somehow improved in terms of pads sensitivity etc from the MPX8. Apart from more pads and possibility to store more samples I was wondering if there has been also improvements on other parts
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 5:46pm
Roland SP404SX, has effects too, battery operated and AC, built in mic, very user friendly. A no fuss sampler machine

Edited by wiz247 - 21 March 2018 at 5:46pm
Tune In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tune In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 9:40pm
http://www.korg.com/uk/products/dj/volca_sample/specifications.php
Not a sampler however you can send audio to it via a computer/phone/tablet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3VIdywFFww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzhdVwjIKo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVIC5ASP4R4
not reggae but i'm sure you will get the gist
 Post Reply Post Reply