Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

Trying to link to James hippersons aes paper from this year but phone browser not playing ball

Thanks for the input, I'm looking for it and reading it asap. Honestly i've been trying to have some good reading on acoustics/speakerdesign/audio in general, so any input is welcome!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

Trying to link to James hippersons aes paper from this year but phone browser not playing ball

I also literally submitted 40,000 words, tons of real measurements on scale models and sixty BEM studies on this last week for a master’s degree. It isn’t exactly the same, but until the product of complex wavenumber and equivalent surface radiation impedance are approaching 10, the coverage angles are more or less the same in the pass band of interest.

An asymmetrical horn profile does create some aberrations - again, outside of the region you’d use the sub in - but these are caused by diffraction and also apply to a largely asymmetrical ported box too.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 3:05pm

Edited by cravings - 07 December 2021 at 3:06pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 12:50pm
This is simply incorrect.

Stack 1

Twin 18” reflex subs
8 cabs
4.8M x1.2M radiating area
150dB SPL at 1M

Stack 2
Single 18” front loaded horns
8 cabs
4.8M x 1.2M radiating area
150dB SPL at 1M

Both stacks will offer 132dB at 8M and 120dB at 32M

How do horns out “throw “ the reflex cabs exactly?
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

I think 4 reflex cabs loaded with the 18LW2600 (well processed and driven by proper amps) would probably give enough deep and loud sub bass to shake belly buttons 10mt away outdoor, with high spl focused on the dancefloor, without being heard miles away (unlike most folded horns)

Oh here we go. Good advice followed by oft-repeated bullshit. Throw does not exist.

Did i say "throw"?
We were not talking about artillery, were we?
What i was talking about is the significant combination of high spl and strong directivity for which horns are generally capable of delivering percievably louder sound at a distance, rather than reflex cabs.
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 9:53pm
i think i ll go with l18p300 and wsx...i saw specs comparing 18lw2600 and rcf and this is better..i was wrong with all
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 9:41pm
Did you manage to get any measurements of the siniai paraflex? 
I'd be pretty interested in seeing the group delay specifically.
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:00am
ok thank you guys sorry again for off topic..i will doc..
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

I think 4 reflex cabs loaded with the 18LW2600 (well processed and driven by proper amps) would probably give enough deep and loud sub bass to shake belly buttons 10mt away outdoor, with high spl focused on the dancefloor, without being heard miles away (unlike most folded horns)

Oh here we go. Good advice followed by oft-repeated bullshit. Throw does not exist.
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 11:28pm
You'd better load the 18LW2600 in a reflex cab, since it has been designed for that job. Maybe you can try and see if it works in scoops as well, but it won't sound like a front loaded horn.
If you really need flh for sub duty, then read the threads about 1850, Martin wsx, invader, CV L36, punisher, lab, and so on.. do some research and see what's best for your purposes, just keep in mind there's no "best bass horn" in absolute terms: it's up to what music you'll play, where, the level of spl you need, at what frequency.. and how much money you can spend!
I think 4 reflex cabs loaded with the 18LW2600 (well processed and driven by proper amps) would probably give enough deep and loud sub bass to shake belly buttons 10mt away outdoor, with high spl focused on the dancefloor, without being heard miles away (unlike most folded horns), and the cabs would be lighter, cheaper and easier to build. On the other side, with folded horns like 1850 or L36 you'll be quite loud and punchy but you'll need more than 4 cabs stacked together to get deep sub frequencies with decent spl.

Edited by sushi - 29 November 2021 at 11:32pm
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 1:51pm
sorry for off topic...
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 1:48pm
i understand really good...u make change my idea @sushi in your opinion wich could be the best horn cabinet for 18lw2600 eighteen sound woofer? this is the woofer... https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18lw2600

i look around the web to have an idea of what is better for my ears not my eyes and i find 1850 or wsx..id like to have punchy response from a cabinet and low freq really loud and deep.. i hope u can help me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>