Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
justamadman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justamadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 12:30am
Originally posted by dj-panoramix dj-panoramix wrote:

here are a new 18horn plan made by a french guy called Startec (Quad Acoustics),this plan is made for a RCF LF18N401 (cheap solution),Void V1OOO (mid solution) but you can use a pd1850(expensive solution).
It's a 3 meter long horn ...  Clap

any chance of getting that pic a bit bigger??
in front of the bass bins baby
dj-panoramix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 11:56am
post edited ,i push direct link and bigger picture
Paulo Duto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo Duto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 7:03pm

Maybe someone has finished it and is already playing with these 8 boxes.

http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2756681229ae80486602xf7.jpg

Regards,
Paulo Duto
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 7:25pm
Oh snap...
Xmax extreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xmax extreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 1:48am
wicked....
Maximum Excursion

Don't criticize your own competition, it looks like a publicity of your own commercial products.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 6:10am
img393/1651/2756681229ae80486602xf7.jpg
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 6:19am
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Is there a reason for that tantalising pic of the Terra Horn bitoec?

For comparisson I suppose, I hope it didn't come accross as showing off. There's only so many ways to fold a 3m+ horn into a reasonable shaped box and it's suprising how different this new design is. The Terra horn follows the same folding pattern as the EM Quake and the Lab Horn really whereas this design is an innovative extension of the 1850 style S-bin fold.

The fact that the driver is loaded from the front in this design limits the throat arrangements you can have. I never had any problems with this style of loading in the 1850 horns when I had them but I have a preference for the style of throat used in the ASS folded horns (BS1200, etc) and the punisher where the driver is firing onto a parallel plate and the expansion is the the other plane for the initial section. The terra horns are a kind of combination of the two.

Opus get around the uneven loading caused by the throat arrangement in this new design by putting a weird shaped bulge on the access panel. Perhaps the designer of this cab could esperiment with this to reduce the front chamber volume and even up the loading?

really? thats interesting
The EM hasn't got that empty void inside the cab though has it?Confused

Still loving that Terra Horn, still my favourite

have you or minimaxil got a 1w1m spl graph we can look at for the Terra horn?

have you heard the EM quake Biotec, if so how do you compare it to the Terra Horn?
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 12:08pm

@dj-panoramix

this bin is not THAT big! 950 x 1200 x 546?
can we have a little more info on this? graphs?

112db is on par with the Martin ASX, and thats a 21'' 

I love that RCF driver by the way, if it the same one that in the dB tech 2 x 18 bins that is
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 12:51pm
bumpety bump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

@dj-panoramix

this bin is not THAT big! 950 x 1200 x 546?
can we have a little more info on this? graphs?

112db is on par with the Martin ASX, and thats a 21'' 

I love that RCF driver by the way, if it the same one that in the dB tech 2 x 18 bins that is

that's right it's ONLY 950X1200X546 but it's bigger than the wsx.

i have no graphs for the moment b ecause this horn is 12 years old (the V1) and was made for work with a phl oem ,and mr startec have made some rework on it to go with a  RCF LF18N401 driver ,there only a few peoples who had allready made and still waiting on the feedback.

here's a picture of the first party with the 3way full horn loaded speaker and the famous sbh 18 from mr startec:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Is there a reason for that tantalising pic of the Terra Horn bitoec?
For comparisson I suppose, I hope it didn't come accross as showing off. There's only so many ways to fold a 3m+ horn into a reasonable shaped box and it's suprising how different this new design is. The Terra horn follows the same folding pattern as the EM Quake and the Lab Horn really whereas this design is an innovative extension of the 1850 style S-bin fold.

The fact that the driver is loaded from the front in this design limits the throat arrangements you can have. I never had any problems with this style of loading in the 1850 horns when I had them but I have a preference for the style of throat used in the ASS folded horns (BS1200, etc) and the punisher where the driver is firing onto a parallel plate and the expansion is the the other plane for the initial section. The terra horns are a kind of combination of the two.

Opus get around the uneven loading caused by the throat arrangement in this new design by putting a weird shaped bulge on the access panel. Perhaps the designer of this cab could esperiment with this to reduce the front chamber volume and even up the loading?

really? thats interesting
The EM hasn't got that empty void inside the cab though has it?Confused

Still loving that Terra Horn, still my favourite

have you or minimaxil got a 1w1m spl graph we can look at for the Terra horn?

have you heard the EM quake Biotec, if so how do you compare it to the Terra Horn?

what's the terra horn ? i never heard about it ? is it a diy subhorn ?
same question for quake Biotec ?

the picture you put ,is from wich opus-audio sub's cab ?
i talk about this picture:

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 2:38pm

The picture is the throat area of the terra horn. The terra horn is unfortunately not a DIY plan but is made be minaximal, a member of this forum. Minaximal's website for meta acoustics is online now so you can see a few more build photos I think.

I don't remember ever having heard the Quake, not many companies are using them, so I have nothing to compare the terra horn to directly.  My impression having heard them playing the same music and about 15ft away from LAB horns is that despite being fairly evenely matched in terms of SPL, they sound totally different.  The terra horn has a much more classic bass sound, it doesn't have the characteristic bang of a folded horn; the terra horns certainly sounded like they were going lower than the labs.  SPL was similar but I was putting less power into the drivers, I would guess that the LAB horns might ultimately be able to swallow more juice and have a slight SPL advantage when being ragged but I'm not really interested in pushing my horns to the limit to find out.

In my opnion they would be absolutely perfect for a reggae sound. They go far lower than most scoops without needing loads of them and they don't have the ultra aggressive sound that can ruin intricate basslines like on roots music.  I would love a big reggae sound to give them a try.

Neither the quake nor the LAB have the void in the middle but the snail folding is similar; the terra horn has the void to enable the folding to be smoother while retaining a 3.6m horn path.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 46>