Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

System target curve and equal loudness contour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foca_Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: System target curve and equal loudness contour
    Posted: 28 August 2018 at 3:18pm
I need a little guidance, I am new to this:

Let's say I go to a venue where I install a PA and I have a live gig on it later.
I take out my measurement gear(dual channel FFT),choose the best position and aim for the speakers,align the system and then I have to eq it.

Is there a standard target eq curve for equing a sound system ?

I have read about the equal loudness contour and the fact that we do not hear linear (well it gets more linear at higher SPL,but still not flat).Do I have to take this into account?

What do you guys do ?

JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 4:31pm
Hey,

For starting, I usually choose a slightly downwards sloping curve towards higher frequencies, like something in the range of -4 to -6dB from 200Hz-10kHz. This sounds a little "warmer" than a completely flat frequency response. In addition almost everybody likes a little more low-end, so i boost the frequencys below 100Hz with a slight lowshelf of approx. +3dB (or +6, depending on the kind of music).
After this you can try to reduce the 1kHz and 2kHz content with a relatively narrow eq to your own liking. But most of the time thats not necessary for me.
But keep in mind that thats just the way i do it. i am sure there are many ways of achieving a subjectively nice sound.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 4:35pm
EQing to Fletcher Munson (equal loundess curves) is the way to go imo!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:16pm
music is recorded with the Fletcher Munson curve accounted for!

definitely cut midrange at high volumes
https://forum.speakerplans.com/uploads/8883/Void_System_Tips_EQ.pdf

boost bass below 200Hz as desired. particularly at 100Hz for more impact.

I'm not sure about large amounts of boost at 10k-20kHz. A lot of sound engineers have hearing loss at these frequencies and seem determined to give it to everyone else too LOL

Edited by snowflake - 28 August 2018 at 6:25pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 6:26pm
On studio levels.
Btw which artist likes flat speakers?
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

...I'm not sure about large amounts of boost at 10k-20kHz. A lot of sound engineers have hearing loss at these frequencies and seem determined to give it to everyone else too LOL

I run with a +6dB shelf from 12khz and up as my horns are CD so I find it's needed to bring out the 'sparkle'. It does result in quite a bright sound when the system is played at high volume in an empty room but I find that once there's a few bodies in soaking up the sound it balances out nicely. Or I may just be going deaf! LOL
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

EQing to Fletcher Munson (equal loundess curves) is the way to go imo!

Never ever.

Especially for live sound.

Never ever.

Live sound:

Max +6 on subs and smooth either flat or slightly downward sloping response all the way to the highs. Constant -3dB per decade can work well, sometimes not. It depends on what kind of live music it is for.

But never ever ever equal loudness.

That's what engineer behind the desk does with his skills and tools and he is an artist who deserves a clean canvas and not something which has blue sky and some dirt on the ground ready for him.

Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:16pm
And tuning a system is bit more than pulling a mic out, pointing it to speakers at "optimum" location and going from there.

That's one way, but definitely won't yield the best results.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

...I'm not sure about large amounts of boost at 10k-20kHz. A lot of sound engineers have hearing loss at these frequencies and seem determined to give it to everyone else too LOL

I run with a +6dB shelf from 12khz and up as my horns are CD so I find it's needed to bring out the 'sparkle'. It does result in quite a bright sound when the system is played at high volume in an empty room but I find that once there's a few bodies in soaking up the sound it balances out nicely. Or I may just be going deaf! LOL

I wouldn't call that system eq - that's speaker correction.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 8:53pm

Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

I wouldn't call that system eq - that's speaker correction.

Good point Sir!
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 12:38am
id say thats room corretion :-p
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2018 at 7:29am
measurement for timing / phase alignment by all means. then use your ears and some very well known test material ( tracks).

i worry about any "engineers" that spend too much time staring at a laptop screen whilst eq'ing a system, music is a human thing and needs a human to tune it, not a machine.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>