Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T.amp 4ohm bridged load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadmank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T.amp 4ohm bridged load
    Posted: 08 March 2024 at 5:35pm
What it says on the tin.

T.amp E-1500

8 Ω, stereo: 2 × 950 W RMS
4 Ω, stereo: 2 × 1430 W RMS
8 Ω bridged, stereo: 1 × 2860 W RMS

I would like to use it to run 2x pd1850 (8ohm each, or 4ohm in parallel).
950w is not enough headroom. Only other way i can see to run would be using the amp in bridged mode at 4ohm.

Heard others done this happily on other t.amp/proline models with no issues, but theres also no mention of 4ohm bridged capabilities in the manual. Any verdict on this?

1430w to each driver would be ideal, but thats the 8ohm rating. No idea what it would be giving in 4ohm

Let's all have a nice cup of tea
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2024 at 5:40pm
You do realize the difference between 950 and 1430 W is less than 2 dB? 

If the amp is only rated for 4 ohms per channel, 4 ohm bridge on (sub)bass is asking for trouble.

Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2024 at 6:05pm
Yes, 4 ohm bridged is the same effectively as 2 ohm stereo which isn't listed as doable. Also, the manual doesn't quote proper specs for the 2x 1430w @4ohms but does give the 8ohm bridged output as 1x2860w@1khz so the 20hz-20khz specs for 4ohm stereo output is likely to be a fair amount less than 1430w with respectably low distortion.
Shadmank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadmank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2024 at 5:43am
Ok so 4ohm bridged is a 2ohm load on the amp? Thats good to know.

I've seen other posts where people have used t.amps in 4ohm bridge and said its all good. I realise now that some of these relate to the proline models which are rated as 2ohm stable.

Some others saying the 2400 is ok in 4ohm bridge https://www.blue-room.org.uk/topic/7661-tamps-bridged/ but sounds like its not worth riskin it for a biscuit.

Let's all have a nice cup of tea
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2024 at 9:18am
Again, the TA-2400 is not rated for 2 ohm stereo use so also not for for 4 ohm bridged use.

WessexAudioMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WessexAudioMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2024 at 3:20pm
The only t.amp I’m aware of that can do 4 ohm bridge with no issues is the proline 3000. If you are going to bridge an amp you want allot of head room otherwise you will be in the realms of over heating or killing the amp due to the immense pressure it’s under 
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2024 at 8:17pm
The more Soundman Blow Their Woofers the more Money I can Spend on My Speed Boat....Bridge and Blow...Bridge and Blow....Bridge and Blow...I LOVE It......After a total Voice Coil melt down the Customer tells Me He needs more Power...Maybe 10000 watts would Good...I point out that His Woofes are Rated 1200...He then Yells at Me these can handle 10000.....UNREAL...More Recone work...More Gas Money for the Speed Boat.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2024 at 9:10pm
The audio world has always been dominated by numbers, when it reality this doesn't often translate directly into real world experience. The car audio arena is probably the most comical, with some truly ridiculous claims being made. I love the "500w (max)" type figures. I mean, how loud is a light bulb....?
 Post Reply Post Reply