Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T Nut Error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T Nut Error
    Posted: 03 December 2018 at 11:12pm
Hi
Been t nutting my first cab today and upon drilling the holes I noticed that some are ever so slightly further into the baffle than others, only by a couple cm but enough to me to wonder if it would hinder the performance. Also, the bottom hole on the driver is unable to be drilled through because it's right at the bottom of the baffle so I can physically only get 5 t nuts in for a 6 holed driver. I'm aware this is probably a dumb question but please allow me some peace of mind, do either of these imperfections actually matter?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 7:19am
got pics? Can't visualise what you mean.  

For the close one use an insert nut? (See other current thread t nuts vs...)
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 7:42am
You know you're meant to drill these holes and fit the T nuts before you assemble the cab, right?

If not, hard lesson learnt...

In practice, it might be okay, but over time, that lack of tension on one side can cause air leaks and driver death, plus extra stress on the other bolts.
mrcheggman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 8:50am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

got pics? Can't visualise what you mean.  

For the close one use an insert nut? (See other current thread t nuts vs...)

I'll grab a photo tonight, an insert nut sounds like a good plan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 8:52am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You know you're meant to drill these holes and fit the T nuts before you assemble the cab, right?

If not, hard lesson learnt...

In practice, it might be okay, but over time, that lack of tension on one side can cause air leaks and driver death, plus extra stress on the other bolts.

Yeah, I gathered as much when trying to do it this way! Unfortunately I bought these cabs and they didn't come with hardware so I didn't have any other choice. As said above, I reckon an insert nut will do the trick. It won't matter that a few holes are a couple mm further into the baffle than others though, correct?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 3:01pm
do you mean that the t nuts aren't equal distance from the driver cutout.. therefor the driver would be mounted off center?

or that some of them are just off by enough that you can't make the bolts fit?

a right angle drill adapter thing is handy for retrofitting stuff like this into cabs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

do you mean that the t nuts aren't equal distance from the driver cutout.. therefor the driver would be mounted off center?

Yep that. Literally only by a tiny amount but I'm a perfectionist haha.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 3:44pm
as long as there's enough clearance for the driver to not hit the edge of the cutout when it's going at full excursion.. will be fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrcheggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2018 at 4:16pm
yeah I reckon there's easily enough space. thanks for your response I just wanted to make absolutely sure everything was gonna be okay!
 Post Reply Post Reply