Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tamp TA1400 clipping problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tamp TA1400 clipping problem
    Posted: 08 October 2017 at 5:09pm
Channel 2 starts clipping at pretty low power, somewhere around 50Watts. Power output is low. Ch1 is working properly anyway.  I tested it with stereo and bridge mode, no difference.  Bridge mode gives much less output power than ch1 alone. 

Anyone familiar with such a problems?  

Edited by Tonskulus - 08 October 2017 at 5:10pm
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 5:48pm
Because the circuit is a fairly simply class B design, low power clipping is normally down to a output or driver transistor fault, i assume you have checked internal fuse etc ??, are they intact ???. Because there is an op-amp pre-driver chip check that this also has the correct voltages on pins 4 & 8 (normally 12 or 15 volts).

Edited by simonp1100 - 08 October 2017 at 5:52pm
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by simonp1100 simonp1100 wrote:

Because the circuit is a fairly simply class B design, low power clipping is normally down to a output or driver transistor fault, i assume you have checked internal fuse etc ??, are they intact ???.

it's class H design.  Well I have to check out all the internal fuses.. 
One thing came to my mind, because of class H design there is possibility that amplifier is not switching to upper supply voltage.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 5:57pm
Yes, your correct it's a class H, have you checked the output devices, this normally is the first thing i would check along with fuses. As regards not switching over to the higher rail this can be seen if you have a scope.

Edited by simonp1100 - 08 October 2017 at 5:59pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2017 at 7:10pm
and for goodness sake dont try using it in bridge if it isn't capable of working correctly in Stereo.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:05am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

and for goodness sake dont try using it in bridge if it isn't capable of working correctly in Stereo.

I have never used this amp in stereo mode until now, as I noticed there is something wrong about output power. 

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 10:03am
Did is start doing this recently,  or has it always been like this?

I know on the C Mark version of these amps it was a common QC error to not set the input sensitivity correctly.  There is a trimmer on the channel gain board at the front, you can adjust the input level here, measure output and adjust the trimmer so that the clip LED comes on at the correct point.    On the C Marks the meters are not real clip detection, they are just input meters, so it may be that there is nothing wrong with the amp stage.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2017 at 10:13pm
on the diagram I have here the first 3 leds are input level, the clip led is driven from the error amplifier and the fault led is off the protect circuit.

So an input level fault wouldnt necessarily bring the clip led on but an output or psu stage would.

The pots on the back of the front pcb should be adjusted so the signal drives the limiters at the right point. When adjusted properly the clip light should barely blip on the signal peaks and gradually reduce in intensity as the limiter integrator brings the gain down (it grounds the wiper of the front volume pot!).

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 7:18pm
Hmm, I just measured supplyrail voltages under clipping conditions. 
High voltage rail: 235V idle, 225V load.
Low voltage rail: 115V idle, 100V load.
Voltage switching mosfets are working, measured with oscilloscope (gate waveform). 

Measured output voltage from speaker terminals, 8ohm dummyload connected. 
Channel B clipping led lights at 38Volts, maximum output voltage 50Volts (distorted).
As comparsion, channel A is giving 63Volts before clipping occurs.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:49pm
I would do the following:--

1. Take out class H switching FET's on channel B (positive & negative), see if channel B is distorted with input signal. Just because you have measured the waveform at the gate of the FET, this tells me that the signal is present BUT still could be a faulty FET. Have you checked FET isolation on heatsink & taken out FET's and measured them ?????.
2. Check on both channels the positive & negative switching waveforms on the gates of all four high / low switching FETS (should be the same point / voltage on both channels).
3. Check class H switching diodes (take out of circuit and measure, as well as short on heatsink).

If channel B is working fine (i.e. no distortion) on the lower positive & negative voltage rail (115V), then it would indicate a Class H problem & i would still go with FET's & switching diodes.

Let use know how you get on.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:51am
can we see a snapshot of the scope ?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

can we see a snapshot of the scope ?

it was clean squarewave, duty cycle increasing with input signal. Identical in both channels.
I only scoped top side mosfets, have to do the same for bottom fets too. 

It is pretty much possible that bottom fets are not working.. makes sense, as clipping occurs as soon as mosfets are trying to give more supply voltage.

TA1400 is nice amplifier anyway, I have two of them now.  Claimed power output is quite close to reality.

Edited by Tonskulus - 30 October 2017 at 12:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>