Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH & Unity Horn - Solar sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

I haven`t yet asked the Pascal lot if they can adapt any modules to 12v dc supply? Probably not but worth asking?

Might be a bit much to ask them to design and build DC-DC upconverters, but mebbe there's some off-the-shelf 12V -> xV DC modules that could be inserted into the right bit of their circuit .... mebbe they'd be willing to run up/test/tweak one for you ?
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

I haven`t yet asked the Pascal lot if they can adapt any modules to 12v dc supply? Probably not but worth asking?

Might be a bit much to ask them to design and build DC-DC upconverters, but mebbe there's some off-the-shelf 12V -> xV DC modules that could be inserted into the right bit of their circuit .... mebbe they'd be willing to run up/test/tweak one for you ?

Ahem .... well just realised after I typed that .... I'm probably talking crap there. With those designs the PSU "bit" is closely integrated into the design I think ..... aah never mind - I'll get my coat Embarrassed

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:29pm
So we have now built and tested a Mkii Unity...60 x 45. With a second flare all round. We also managed to get the mids closer to the 1" and do some experimenting with flaring the ports...

Yes it`s rough shutter ply again...but it`s prototypes ! Notice how tight a fit it is to the edge of the horn!

We started with small final exit holes and worked back up to 12mm again and then up to 14mm. Going higher than 12mm didn`t improve anything noticable lower down and we started losing the upper response.

So we now have a decent set of measurements and it was time to see how it worked with the subs. So impromptu plastic tub power stand  got the Unity Horn up high and VOILA!

And it works! Obviously the finished Unity horns will have yokes and be pole mounted from the subs . The plan is to mount 2 vertically to allow for a decent vertical dispersion and possible splay them as needed to get the horizontal. Power wise though 1 box was loud enough just ticking over! So not sure if 2 a side would be needed for most applications using the 12v setup.
 After Richie spent a lot of time running sweeps and doing some eq tweaks ( much respect to his family and neighbours!) we have a very nice system. I love the vocals through this setup, after a week of line array sidefills for monitors it`s like hearing vocals as they should be again.

So down to measurements...

Subs with and without barn doors again. We re-did the tests in REW after the anomalies with Holm and they still show how the doors smooth out the response and extend the low end slightly. I have offset the "with doors " measurement by -1.3db though. As pointed out by another forum if we add the doors we have to move back with the mic.

The 170hz dip is the only real issue. It is inherent in the design and we have had to eq around it. Not ideal or very good for the phase response.

So the Mkii Unity measured similiar to the Mki but with slightly better upper response. We are not going to get lower than 220 - 250 with the mids as they are. The only ( expensive) way would be to use a higher quality 1 or 1.4 " which would allow us to cross lower and then we could re-design to get a lower extension. Or add a 2nd tap and use something like a sealed back 6-8" , but that means another amp channel and processing.
Again the rough shutter ply has lost us loads of 4k and above with a very peaky response but we`re pretty sure the finished painted horns will give us some of that back.

This plot is for the Mids + Highs...with 1.6k crossover..no eq`s, no gains set.

And now with the subs added and before / after first eq`s.

So overall not too bad. A few rough holes higher up but nearly + / - 3 db from 45hz to 3k.

I`m back in the Uk for the summer and the system will be out in the desert doing what it`s been designed to do :  A very efficient, small , compact, hi-fi sounding 12v soundsystem. Wish I could be there for the first outing....Cry

Roll on the next " idea" we hit upon whilst building these!

.p.

Edited by Phil B - 21 May 2012 at 11:31pm
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 2:21pm
The  4 x Unity Horns  are coming along nicely....

Bad news is that Pascal will only deal with OEM manufacturers for the modules..... So a change of plan is needed for powering them in the future. For the moment the car amps used for the old system will be used...not ideal but workable.

.p.

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 5:56pm
Update...

Mr Richie has been producing miracles in his shed....

The rear cover is to protect the drivers in transit and also to give a flat surface for the yokes to mount to.

As for amps we had to find something to drive the subs and tops efficiently and 4ch`s which would work with an invertor setup.  So there`s now an FFa 4x1.0 in Melbourne...don`t know if that`s a first??

It` s a single 20amp powercon in which would translate to 2 x 10amp modules for a L+R setup. It will have to run mono for a while until some passive crossovers can be built for the tops. ! Another FFa would be the best plan for 240v use and allow an amp a side but we would lose a lot of efficiency on the 12v setup. Not ideal but at the moment budget is everything

System is ready for the desert ...just! Mr Richie is a broken man but the end result is worth it mate. respect !

.p.

Dave FFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave FFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:02pm
great report Phil! good to speak to you last week all the best Dave
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:06pm
Cheers Dave. I`m gutted I`m not there helping but Mr Richie has done a sterling job and I can`t wait to get back and hear it all running together! I was gobsmacked at vocals through a shoddy prototype...roll on the real thing.

.p.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 1:18pm
I love this setup... was it you or a friend that posted up (possibly elsewhere) a group buy/build for these horns?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 12:05pm
If you check out Paul Spencers blog page here...

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/synergy-horn-flat-pack-kit.html

He`s currently gearing up for some cnc cut kits. Funnily enough we have some Celestions left over from the group buy which you could buy off us if you wanna forge ahead on your own ?

And another update. The amp rack is finished, and it takes 12v or 240v....so can cover gigs intown or out in the desert. Again Mr Richie has done wonders!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 1:46pm
Thumbs Up
just curious for now... but I'm interested in building a high quality, efficient PA stack for battery powered operation. Will get in contact with Paul and follow the progress of your system and his builds.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 7:18pm

.p.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 7:07am
Woah... awesome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>