Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH & Unity Horn - Solar sound system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 11:13pm
Amazing build guys (gals?) Loving it!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 11:28am
So an update.....

After buying a Pulse 4 x 300 and getting it shipped from the UK we now have 8ch`s of power for the system BUT we now know we will definitly need a mid bass driver adding. This is because the Unities only really go down to 250 efficiently, after that they fall of very quickly. So we need something to cover the 90 - 300 range and are investigating what will fit the best...2 x 10" with rear ported back to the horn or 2 x 12" with only a FLH??? It will also be easier to build a whole new box with a larger flare to cover the low extension we`re looking for as well. It`s boiling down to some hornres predictions versus whats available in Aus...!!

So it also means we need to free up more amp channels and the obvious path was passive crossovers for the mid / highs. The mids naturally roll off from around 1k and after a bit more phase and freq testing we reckoned we wouldn`t need a LPF on them. So a simple design which fits neatly into the exisiting boxes was come up with . The adjustable Lpad allows us to match mid/ high ratios better for different venues.

So after fitting a prototype crossover the other day we tested the response which was all a bit horrible till we remembered it was a 2nd order and that we had to flip the phase ..DOH! And we got this trace straight away with no mucking about....pretty damn good ...!

So all coming together nicely.....which leads us onto this monstrosity which is being fitted to the trailer this weekend...say hello to 800 watts of windy power!

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:38am
I love this system!
After much research from initial inspiration, will look to build my own SS15 + extensions for running on 24V.

Unity horns are a challenge for another day (year)...
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:52am
What happened to this in the end Phil?

What a project!
Team DB
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 12:52pm
well his last post was only 2 days ago.. so i think it's safe to say it's ongoing.

great thread!

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 1:49pm
Project is def` still ongoing! Just walked in at midnight from day 3 of fitting that wind turbine and other trailer / system mods.

We have the main stage to do at a little Eco Festy this weekend near Melbourne so it`s flat out prep!

More pics and vids to follow!

.p.

fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 2:05pm
Some photos I took when I first met the guys building this awesome system.

Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 4:45am
Hi-Tech hippies Cool
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 9:25am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Some photos I took when I first met the guys building this awesome system.

Phil or Adrian, do you know what the bent cable lining the inside walls of the trailer is for?

Great work, looks like a usefull trailer! Be careful piling stuff on the batteries though, a damp tarp will cause a short which'll drain a battery, and a metal object will cause detonation, particularly if the batteries are gassing.

Nick
me so horny, me love you long throw.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:15am
foldable beds?
Best regards,
Teun.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Phil or Adrian, do you know what the bent cable lining the inside walls of the trailer is for?

Great work, looks like a usefull trailer! Be careful piling stuff on the batteries though, a damp tarp will cause a short which'll drain a battery, and a metal object will cause detonation, particularly if the batteries are gassing.

Nick

Dunno what cable you mean Nick.... you sure you`re not looking at the bed frame ...?

Well those photos were taken when it was all a big mess ! and yes the inevitable happened and someone managed to short a battery against the chassis and take out the solar regulator. We knew it had to be done ...just finding the time

So after 3 days solid hard work here`s the new look trailer!

All tidied up with new benchs and supports covering the batteries. Wind regulator and shunt mounted and all cabling tidied up! The motor winch for the wind genny mast is on the right.  Support angle pieces to take the stress of a rear mounted mast.

And a mounted fire extinguisher! When big currents go wroung it usually involes flames....

All will be revealed of the full Wind Genny setup when I get some  photos this weekend...lets just say it`s bloody awesome!

Can`t have everyone thinking we are messy hippies! ( Remember Never trust a Hippy kids....)

.p.

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 11:31am
yep was probably the bed frames. Look much tidier now!

I did something similar with a battery once but managed to knock the offending item off the terminal before it welded itself to the metal frame and killed the battery. A dead short on big batteries is frightening stuff, it's easy to get 1000a+. A mechanic I used to use once got his wedding ring and spanner to short a battery and nearly lost his finger when the ring melted in a split second.

Be carefull of the vibrations and oscilations from the wind turbine; they can get pretty violent in the right conditions so make sure you don't get fatigue cracks in your welds.

Nick
me so horny, me love you long throw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>