Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM 12 - a compact 12" TH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 3:16pm
A quick comparisson between the THAM12 and the THAM15

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 9:01am
Anders, try the 12HP1020, its Fs is better I think for your project.

On my slightly larger 12" THEX I am getting similar results to the THAM15 but the smaller TH12 is very similar to your THAM12

The actual TH12 measures pretty close to the simm's and loses about 8hz to the measured THAM15's

The TH12 has similar output to a high power 18" reflex  but obviously without the extension.

Keep up the good work :)

Tony

www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 8:47pm
Thanks for the tip Tony, here she is :)

Fatialpro 12HP1020 :

Not the best simulation for the THAM12, but more then good enough to do fine job in reality, thanks.

Quote The TH12 has similar output to a high power 18" reflex  but obviously without the extension.

But with good enough extension to do a fine job in live applications I think, now that's impressive, and I bet that alot of people would not belive it until they felt it :) the posibility that the distorion and overall quality of the sound would be improved aswell is a mere bonus.

Quote Keep up the good work :)

Thanks!, and the same goes for you, I think I'm getting close to the end regarding the PA designs, a THAM18 would be nice, but I have no emidiate plans for that at the moment, for now I'll take a break and verify my designs in my own pace, hopefully enjoying the procedures :)

I want to remember something about you have a 18" TH design in the works ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 6:17am
Size comparision, the 218 box has a sensitivity and specified frequency range comparable to the THAM15 (99dB/w/m 45-120Hz) but the extension both upwards and downwards are more forgiving and it will handle alot more power, the smaller THAM's all show the simmillar senisitivity (~100dB/W/m) but with different lower LF corners in steps of approx 10Hz each.

login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 10:16pm
wow they really are small, so looks like four tham12's are the close to the same size as one jbl 218.

Clap
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
ovidias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovidias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 4:34pm
hallo, how about Selenium 12WS600? it works in this design? how low can get at 2, even 4 cab? thanks 
ovidias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovidias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 3:46pm

here is the response

ovidias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovidias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 3:52pm

i have made some modification to the original project, look at the response and the input data

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 5:09pm
You should calculate in 2.0pi.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
ovidias View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovidias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 5:38pm

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

You should calculate in 2.0pi.

ok, there it is. The difference is not so evident, but it is. The 5 cm added to the high = +2dB more in the 45-60 Hz band

Edited by ovidias - 29 April 2012 at 5:40pm
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2012 at 5:46pm
Hi martinsson. How low would 4 tham12 drop if were to use them together with the faital pro 12fh500?  i have built the tham15 and love it. I am thinking 2 tham12 a side for small functions and 4 a side for slightly larger ones. your designs are amazing to say the least.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 10:36am
Ovidias :

Thanks for posting the sims on the Selenium 12WS600, it looks fine to me.

I really like seeing the designs being tweakked and modified, I want people to regard them as baselines, either leave them as is be happy with that, or take them further, this is the beauty with open development, the choise and freedom to do so is yours, no restrictions.

By adding 20cm to the L23 you have achieved a better LF extension, if using the same folding principles, what would this new proposal look like when drawn up, what would these extra 2dB cost in terms of dimensions ?

rish :

First off, big thanks for the kind words, secondly I have not gotten around to evaluating the THAM12 to that extent yet, I'm currently getting to know a little loudmouth called THAM10, but this is somewhat related.

THAM10 is designed with a simulated LF corner of roughly 65 Hz (simmed tuning), in reality it has a usefull response from 50-55Hz, and noticable respoonse from approx 45Hz, this is pretty much in line with what i predicted.

Extrapolating on this I'd say that the THAM12 when used in singles should have a usefull resonse from approx 45Hz, when used in multiples there would be more of a SPL benefit then an extension benifit, tapped horns does not sum in the same way as flh's, but I would like to direct this question to the crews using the THAM desiigns in the field for a better answer, they will know how this works from expirience wich allways triumphs theory and simulations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>