Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the first woodstock PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

^Every time someone mentions that I curse the fact I was only 6 at the time. It seems unlikely to ever be repeated, except in some post-apocalyptic scenario where we've killed and eaten all the noise police.
Same for me for the first two Glastos - other things going on that at the time seemed more important. Well, at 17/18 there are always things that seem more important at the time, aren't there?
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 4:57pm
Interesting to watch the BBC4 documentary....loving all the old 60's american cars at the beginning driving to Woodstock, people pilled on top of them!
Be seeing you.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 5:29pm
It was my first ever festival, I was 16. My mum tried to stop me from going

I've still heard nothing like it outdoors. Similarly, I've never heard anything close to 1980s motorhead indoors
LOUDER THAN LOUD
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

However, I would be very surprised if any of the current line arrays could match the sheer spl of the turbo tms system used at donington in 1988

I'm still yet to hear a modern line array that has the same 'oomph' in the kick region as an old horn loaded system.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 6:26pm
Found a nice photo of the Woodstock mono 350w tube amps.

Hanley Sound utilized rack systems to house its inventory of McIntosh amplifiers, including the eight MC3500s and pair of MI200 amplifiers.

Be seeing you.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 6:57pm
Less than 0.01 watts per audience member

The exaggerations about tube watts may just be true after all

The speakers were vott were they not
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Daniel S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

The speakers were vott were they not

The article states:

Hanley and his crew custom designed the HSI 410 (Hanley Sound Inc.) speaker cabinets out of marine grade plywood. For the upper stacks, two bass bins were strategically positioned with high frequency horns on top. This was no easy task, especially as each pair measured 6x4x7 feet, and weighed close to 1,000 pounds. These four upper bins came loaded with four 15-inch JBL D-130 drivers. The four lower bins contained four 15-inch JBL D140 drivers for additional bass. Hanley recalls, “The high frequencies were handled by model 1003B 5×2 Altec multi-cell horns (300 Hz min frequency) and my custom-built 2×2 horns, all with Altec 290 compression drivers.”
Distortion is evil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12