Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New FANE PRIME 18XS to the test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 11:17pm
Oh yeah also lev you know that bolt patterns are becoming less and less standard nowdays, so even if you just leave a flat baffle
The user would often have to re drill, tnut, fill and paint the baffle for another driver.
Flat pack & fully assembled Speaker cabinet design and CNC manufacturing. www.speaker-cabinets.co.uk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by TMAL TMAL wrote:

The user would often have to re drill, tnut, fill and paint the baffle for another driver.

For 18s, Void, Beyma, Eminence, Fane, B&C, PD (hidden mounting), Celestion, RCF will all fit same tnut pattern.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
TMAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2013 at 11:54pm
Indeed there are still quite a few that will use the same bolt pattern (maybe more so with 18's than some other sizes) but manufactures are more and more moving to individual bolt patterns and chassis size / baffle cutout requirments. Obviously so as to discourage and make it more of a chore for manufacturers, designers and end users to try / use their competitors products.

Have you not noticed this?

Edited by TMAL - 25 January 2013 at 11:57pm
Flat pack & fully assembled Speaker cabinet design and CNC manufacturing. www.speaker-cabinets.co.uk
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2013 at 12:24am

Have you not noticed this?

TBH, was gonna say I prefer British made drivers, but we know where most of them are made now. LOL

I prefer Fane, Celestion, B&C, PD, for 12", 15", 18" drivers, purely due to re-cone kit availability, & tnut pattern match up.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Nostromo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostromo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:22pm

Just to confirm he is not having those specific cabinets. He is having this design with the baffle machined
for the Prime 18XS.  It will follow the contour perfectly. For people looking to do a similar thing with this driver 166.8Ltr cabinet tuned to 41Hz, with 850cm2 port area gives an f3 of 42Hz,  f10 of 32Hz and a very nice sounding cabinet. EnjoySmile

Yep . . . my mistake ! . . .

Really looking forward to using the new cabs will let you guys know how the 18XS sound in the new cabs . . .

KonanSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KonanSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 3:18pm
Isn't this driver very similar to the b&c 18sw115?
KSS - Devon based always wanting to learn more
Nostromo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostromo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:39pm
My Prime 18XS loaded boxes will be arriving from Secrets of Sound soon . . . just organising the hire of my venue for a couple of hours to test them out with some recorded music . . . not the same as Live I know . . but will be a good chance to run the cones in . . if modern cones need running in ? . . . and get a first chance to balance them up with the rest of the rig ! ! ! ! . . . can't wait . . . !

Week after that its real gigs . . .

Geek  Smile

Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 1:40pm
Yesterday tried prime 18XS in hogscoop (which was loaded w/ RCF LF18X400).  
RCF is a bit louder indeed, but XS was kind of more physical. So it definitely moves some air but just not that loud.  Sound quality? hmm, nothing special but pretty ok.  
Fane 18SB is one of the best sounding drivers in HOG but not the best SPL either. Warm and deep sound.

XS also started "flapping" pretty quickly when cranked up losing control, RCF does not do that and can take some serious power no problems. And I'm not talking about overexcursion.. there was something else going on.  XS might work better with larger chamber scoops..?  HOG has quite small chamber.

So I can confirm that prime XS is primarily for BR.. and it is very good BR driver! 

Edited by Tonskulus - 11 November 2017 at 1:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789