Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Turbosound TMS-2A topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

the fane sovereign 15 neo sims very nicely in this type of horn, i havent tested one yet though.

This one?

"this type of horn": I assume you mean horns like the HD15? Or isn't that a horn similar to the TMS-2A?
If so, will speakers for the HD15 work for my TMS-2A?

Same questions again, haha, but I really want to get this cabinet working again.

Greeting
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:10am
I have 8 of these, 2 of them are serial no. 2 & 4 too
I've been taking mine appart & fixing them a couple of times & now I'm doing it again.

No the bph is not exactly like hd15, I tried to measure & sim the tms-2 horn using some numbers from hd15. The front chamber is relatively bigger & the backchamber smaller in the tms-s
Tms-2 15" horn is intended to play up to 250 hz, most people wouldn't do that with a hd15 with a pd.154 inside, I think the mid will get scruffy.

@shagnasty: What do you mean by "from the layout of your boxes (IE the HF wave guide)" how are they different? are you thinking about the tms-2 with the broader 1" horn vs the older ones?

I have 1 pcs ls-1506 & 3 pcs 102 & I might be able to find some fane 15b for you.

And the questions:

1) yes difference is that tms-2a is active, only a filter on the 1" actually
2) If SoundsUnlimited says so, it's somewhere on the web too i know for sure!
3) I think turbosound says ls-1506 I didn't know it was a problem to fit them, I will check that out for you tomorrow. Serial 2 & 4 has fane. Sound awesome with fane stubio 15b. 2,5" voicecoil, BL of 27,3. Can be found at low prices. they're only 200w, but note the sensitivity of 102db! Xmax in this german sheet is 11,2, I think this means 5,6mm, look here:
http://www.hifi-studio.de/hifi-klassiker/Fane/Fane_Lautsprecher/Fane_Lautsprechersysteme.htm
4) I didn't check that driver out yet
5) check both to be like revision tms 2, handwritten note by tony andrews on turbosound ftp:
http://ftp.turbosound.com/tech_data/service_pack/Xover%20Schematics/TMS/TMS%202/
6) wadding
7) more layers of paint. preserve history & get more time to listen to them
8) don't mod the cab & if; yes they should be in that chamber with the 10" backbowl & hifreq driver, watch out for the bowl. This space has no function.
9) YES, they've got soul. I didn't compare like that. They have a harder sound than tms-4

By the way check out my other thread, I'm trying to update drivers in mine, testing rcf mb15n401/407  for 15" mr10n301 for 10" and bms 4538/4540nd for 1" testing

That tiny bms driver goes up to 30 khz, let's see if i blow it up then.

Edited by tv00 - 04 April 2012 at 12:24am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

the fane sovereign 15 neo sims very nicely in this type of horn, i havent tested one yet though.

This one?

"this type of horn": I assume you mean horns like the HD15? Or isn't that a horn similar to the TMS-2A?
If so, will speakers for the HD15 work for my TMS-2A?

Same questions again, haha, but I really want to get this cabinet working again.

Greeting

Yep thats the one,  i was meaning that they look good on paper for upper bass / low mid horns,  i consider the HD15 to be more of an all round bass bin, others like to use them for upper bass with a sub but ive never really liked them for that unless crossed low ~60Hz. 
The TMS2 horn is more of a low mid / upper bass horn as it dos not have a front chamber so its more of a horn / less of a bandpass.  People put all sorts into HD15s so i wouldn't necessarily assume that if someone likes it in a HD15 that you will like it in a TMS2.  I would look at 3" coil 15"s with low mms, low xmax, low qts and highish BL.  The kappa 15 (not the LF version) sounds great in this application, the fane sov 15-500 looks very similar on paper, but ive not tested it yet.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:15am
the tms-2 have a bigger front chamber than the hd15 relatively
The space in front of the speaker before the narrow start of the horn is bigger than hd15

I could have posted the plan

I didn't
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:21am
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

No the bph is not exactly like hd15, I tried to measure & sim the tms-2 horn using some numbers from hd15. The front chamber is relatively bigger & the backchamber smaller in the tms-s
Tms-2 15" horn is intended to play up to 250 hz, most people wouldn't do that with a hd15 with a pd.154 inside, I think the mid will get scruffy.

@shagnasty: What do you mean by "from the layout of your boxes (IE the HF wave guide)" how are they different? are you thinking about the tms-2 with the broader 1" horn vs the older ones?

Yeah, the later TMS-2s had a full width, more TMS-4 stylee HF wave guide.
+1 on the HD15 is not a good bench mark, the BPH in a 2/3 is way faster than a HD15, hence they hit 250 with ease, having tried 2 non-Turbo driver loadings, I went to Pete and got some turbo ones, the TMS-2/3 is probably one of the best kick sections on the planet and to have one and not use it seem daft to me, try calling Mark at bonza sound in the Uk he seemd to have a good Turbo contact in Haolland, may be he can hook you up, but really thse cabs rock, but don't put a slow, subby driver in, you want something as fast as hell preferable with fane drilling.
If the soverign pro 15-600n fits I would try that as the fane neo series are fast as hell (we run modded TSW-718 with them in and they have sledge hammer punch) but I'd still try for Turbo spec drivers...Smile

Edited by shagnasty - 04 April 2012 at 2:22am
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:28am
As i remember it expands right in front of the driver?  It was much like the HD15 but with the baffle closer to the back panel and joining the the end of the curve, rather than the curve having an overhang like the HD15?

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 2:34am
No, if you look at Rogs hd15 plan

The measurement 240 in the top right under the letters "horn"
is more like 280 or actually more in the tms-2 as i recall, I can check the numbers tomorrow when putting some drivers in it.

Wonder how 4ac is doing in holland
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:57am
sorry to hyjack, but what is the driver in the 10inch horn, and where can i get one (or 2 or 3 realy)? ive been looking at an 18sound option, but i would need to remould the back of the plugs and would rather not.

cheers
dave
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 2:06am
fane or PD for turbo, get the proper one otherwise you won't have a TMS-X....

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 2:24am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

fane or PD for turbo, get the proper one otherwise you won't have a TMS-X....

was that @ me? ive just seen that the ls1004 could be an option. the ls1001 looks like it no longer exists. which fane or turbo works? do they have the flat dust cap?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 2:29am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

Hello,

Recently my brother and I purchases a pair of Turbosound TMS-2A speakers.

The seller thought they were "some double 15" speakers or something". Luckily, we recognised the Turbo panel on the back. And, as you might have guessed, it was a real bargain.

Edited by levyte357 - 11 May 2012 at 2:30am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 2:44am
i just sent an email to turbosound here in spain about the ls1004.

if its a no go id love it if someone could help me out

cheers
dave

Edited by thepersonunknown - 11 May 2012 at 2:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>