Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Them fangled column PA S again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Them fangled column PA S again.
    Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:17am
Hi guys

I got in to a bit of a discussion on the turbo sound forum about these columns,

I suggested that the design of these all in one systems was flawed because some of us with a garage full of subs might like to purchase just the top end and use them with existing gear, someone has suggested that the subs in these rigs are crossing much higher than your shop bought active sub and my argument is negated because there could be a dip of missing output between 80 and 150 cycles, I suggested that if you are using one of these gizmos, it’s unlikely you or the crowd would be that aware of the dip or would be that bothered about it if it was so obvious.

I would have thought that regardless of how many 2 or 3 inch speakers you have in the drain pipe, that sub above 120 cycles would sound horrible,

What do you guys think ?

I’m thinking of splashing out on the new ip3000, just one but wonder would 2 ip2000 be more sensible.

Cheers

Kev

Edited by kevin tyler - 19 February 2018 at 11:18am
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:35am
They are correct. Those small drivers barely get down to 150 with any sensible levels and subs must go higher up than usually to meet them. How it sounds, depends on sub itself and how well it is aligned to the tops. I've done tops with 200Hz high pass and sub with 125Hz second order low pass to create smoothly rising response from 200Hz downwards. With correct time alignment it sounded good.

nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:11pm
Food for thought
Logic have a prototype in world just about ready for touring.
It’s a redic loud Column speaker that sits on top of 3 218s 🙈
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:17pm
Thanks guys.

I stand corrected.

Kev
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:22pm

V line it’s called
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 5:37pm
Plans ?

Thanks.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 6:16pm
Those are not really small.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:41pm
Logic systems site doesn't work Cry
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by kevin tyler kevin tyler wrote:

I’m thinking of splashing out on the new ip3000, just one but wonder would 2 ip2000 be more sensible.

What are you using it for? I have heard the iP2000 and IMO it sounds decent but I'd need to have a specific use for it before I'd buy one, they don't cluster well the only proper way to use multiples is in a vertical stack and most of these hipster designer things aren't meant to be used that way.

Edited by Conanski - 19 February 2018 at 7:53pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 10:17pm
They do multiple sizes starting with 3 drivers up to 12
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Logic systems site doesn't work Cry

There not on the site yet I don’t think
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2018 at 7:28am
I'm still skeptic, it says it will go down to 125 Hz, but will that also be the case at very high levels?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>