Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things that puzzle me in the night..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 11:17am
If that's the case then xlr pad may be the way to go.
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2010 at 11:45am
Originally posted by service dept Steve service dept Steve wrote:

4D, I thought I'd better keep my head down yesterday afternoon after, what shall we call it, "lunch", anyway all better now.
I will be doing another eBay assembly run this week, more testers, pad-in-xlrs etc and would love to sell you some pads BUT an alarm bell is ringing, You said "Manic dj's via an ff4000 (another dj mixer with a fearsome output level)" if you were hoping to control a mixer running into the red this is not the way, distortion is a speaker killer as you know so you would need to check that the dj mixer is still clean even way into the red before you can pad it down, if not or if you're not sure you will need to use phono pads that the HIFI boys use on the inputs from the cd players ( which will raise the s/n ratio) or cover the master fader in tape as it seems the standard limiting methodConfused
Anyway, let me know if you need anything making up.
Steve

Its not so much distortion that is a problem the funktion one mixer seems fairly well behaved in that department.

But as there is no way to attenuate the input level on the lms700, (omni drive fds388) and the output from the ff4000 wants to overload the input stage. It needs cutting by 10db. 

There was not enough time to really play with the channel trims on the ff4000 so maybe a pad is its unnecessary.

Either way its a temporary solution until the newly released XTA dc1048  arrives.. 

However I am back onsite later this week and will try some 600ohm pads and see what's what. 

I had looked at the hi fi pads in the past as a means of bringing cdj1000 outputs down more in line with phono levels.  Some mixers formula sound pm90 can find cdj's rather overpowering, and if the dj is playing a mix of vinyl and cd the vinyl channel gains get maxed out.  Some experimentation is called for..

/thanks

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123