Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of replacing EV P3000 with EV Q1212

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of replacing EV P3000 with EV Q1212
    Posted: 06 June 2011 at 10:37pm
So, I have a P3000 which drives my bass at present but it looks as though its nearing the end of its life as it cuts out intermitently.. even after having it serviced.

Anyway, as P3000 are now impossible to get hold of, I was thinking of replacing it with the so-called like for like replacement the EV Q-Series Q1212 amp to run bass.

Does anybody have an experience using the Q1212? Opinions and suggestions would be most welcome/

Thanks

Chaz
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:32am
Its not in the same league as p3000 at least in bass department,its not a bad amp but you would be better with something like matrix new offerings or PKN
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:35am
i think abit more info on how you will be using it aswell will help, ie what load would you be putting  into it, what drivers will you be powering, type of music etc, more info the more accurate suggestions you should get mate
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
pce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:21am
At the moment my P3000 drives my bass which is made up x4 T-18 Cabs loaded with Fane Colussus 18-1000 drivers.

I also have a P2000 which drives x4 ZX5s for mid/high. And both amps are controlled using a DX38.

The sort of music I play through it is mainly current uk chart stuff (dance/contemporary rnb). Nothing that is real low, sub bass.

Because Im a mobile DJ, my amps travel with me and 9 times out of 10 we would typically connect them straight out of a 240v 13amp socket.

Was speaking to the guys at EV and they reckon the CP3000 or CP4000 is a more suitable replacement. If I had the choice, Id buy another P3 if they were still available. I just love the cleanliness of sound from them.
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 10:53am
Perhaps the guys at EV could give you a demo, and you could decide for youself? One thing is for sure though, your back will love the new lightweight amps and if you're not really into bass heavy musically, you probably won't notice the difference sonically.
As a general rule though, for bass, it seems like the lightweight amps can be perfectly good at bass but tend to need higher power specs to reach the same level of as the old heavy amps.
So, what i'm saying here is that if you have the chance (and budget) to buy the CP4000, then do so, as it'll probably sound similar to the P3000.
Hope that makes sense!
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 11:31am
I was thinking of changing my P3000 for a MC2 1250. Will let you know if it I find one and then the P3 (is mint) will be available
pce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 11:40am
Thanks Nick. That makes perfect sense. I'd much rather lug around a heavy amp to do the job as I would like it too but it is what it is. If the P3 is no longer available, I have no choice.

Jas - If u sell ur P3 give me a shout straight away.
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 11:45am
Chaz, consider the MC2 1250 yourself mate. Its an awesome amplifier..Many forum members will vouch for it. 
But like yourself, I do love the sound of the EV P series
 Post Reply Post Reply